Every Monday – Thursday – Saturday
The 7 Villages of Apokoronas Tour – Explore East Chania Mainlandfrom
Discover Chania villages’ beauties, visit family-run businesses, taste the local products, & live the ultimate countryside experience. The hidden treasures of Chania mainland are waiting to be explored by you!
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. For pick-up from the other regions in Crete, please contact us.
Reviews 6 Reviews5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Group Size Small Group
- Learn about the Cretan way of life
- Visit the folklore museum of Apokoronas.
- Tour of a local distillery and “Raki” tasting
- Unique hidden monasteries and churches en route
- Learn everything about old traditional Cretan handcrafts
- Discover the secrets of the Cretan spirit “Tsikoudia”/” Raki.”
- Visit a cheese factory and taste the local dairy products.
- Taste the local bread and cookies in a traditional bakery
- Lunch at a traditional “Kafeneio” (small “meze” restaurant)
- Explore the villages of Apokoronas through unique nature routes
This is a tour of the unique area of Apokoronas, the eastern province of the Chania region. It aims to introduce the visitors of this island to the pure side of the Cretan mainland. Tour around the villages, meet the locals, taste the delicious local products and learn everything about Crete’s history, culture and traditions.
Following a route through nature and traditional Cretan villages, you will arrive in Gavalochori village and visit the folklore museum of Apokoronas. The seven rooms will reveal everything about history, handicrafts, and people’s everyday lives in the previous centuries.
Leaving Gavalochori, driving towards Vrises village, you will stop by a traditional distillery. You will discover the secrets of the local spirit “Tsikoudia” or “Raki” and learn everything about its production. First, you will tour around the traditional part of the distillery and then the modern one’s facilities. Tasting is following combined with delicious local products. The village of Emprosneros follows the theatre “Mikis Theodorakis and the hidden church of St. Antony, built on the rock. The experience of the Cretan cheese-making process follows. You visit a cheese factory and taste the local “Graviera”, “Mizithra” or “Anthotiros” cheese varieties. You will also taste some olive oil on warm bread, cookies and Cretan biscuits in the local bakery.
After that, you will enjoy lunch in a traditional “kafeneio” in Fres village, speak with the locals, and learn many things about the countryside way of life. You will have the chance to see pure beauty and feel the real Crete around you. Apokoronas is one of the most historical places in Crete because of its people. This great province is waiting to reveal its secrets and ready to be explored by you!
If you wish to explore more options return to the Cultural & Historical Tours page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Bottled water per person
- English speaking, local driver/escort
- Museum entrance fee
- All tours in distillery, cheese factory, bakery etc
- Cheese tasting
- Distillery fees
- Bakery fees & tastings
- Traditional Cretan lunch
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus/minivan
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Small-group tour (up to 18pax)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional food and drinks
Tour starts from
Duration of the tour
Including pick-up and drop-off time
Approximately 6-7 hours
Booking & Cancellation Policies
Please Read Carefully
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. Cancellation must be made 24 hours before the tour for a full refund. In the case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In the case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences, please inform the company in advance.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Regular Stops – There are stops every 30-40 minutes, for everyone’s convenience. If a client feels sick or it is necessary to stop, please inform your driver accordingly.
Pick up points- times
- 08:40 – Hotels of Kalamaki, Stalos, Agia Marina, Platanias, Maleme, Tavronitis
- 09:00 – Xenios Dias and Golden Beach central parking (for hotels around the Golden beach and Agioi Apostoloi)
- 09:15 – Sunny Rent Car (For hotels in Nea Chora)
- 09:25 – Talos Square – Hand fountain (For hotels around: West old town and harbor, East Nea Chora)
- 09:35 – GS Tours offices (For hotels around: East and Central old town/harbor, Chania city center)
- 09:40 – Kriti hotel (For hotels around: Koum Kapi neighborhood, East old town and Chania city center)
- 10:00 – Kalives (For hotels in Kalives area)
*We recommend you to be at the pick-up area (your hotel or the pre-arranged meeting point) 5-10 minutes prior to your pick up time. Our driver/escort will be on time to welcome you and show your seat.
What to bring with you for this tour
...except your best mood & smile :)
- Your Camera
- Comfortable clothing & shoes
- Sunscreen & hat during summer months
- During spring and autumn, we advise you to bring a jacket
Meals & Alternatives
Vegetarian - Vegan- Allergies
- Meals (when included) usually contain traditional Cretan recipes.
- Appetizers, main courses and desserts will usually be served in platters according to the local way of eating.
- We can offer vegetarian – vegan alternatives, but we require prior notice during reservation.
- The client has the responsibility to inform the company in advance of any food allergies to find suitable alternatives if possible.
- Alcohol consumption is not allowed for children and teenagers under the age of 18 years old.
Children 2-6 years old – FreeChildren 7-12 years old – 55€
Further to the Government’s announcements, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to keep our guests safe and healthy, our staff will be intensely and detailed trained to meet all the requirements. The company has fully complied with all the Government’s necessary measures, The WHO and the National Public Health Organisation.
- Our fleet will be thoroughly cleaned and hygiene after each transfer and trip. All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls etc., are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
- Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and themselves.
- Hand sanitizers antiseptic will be provided during clients’ embarkation
- Clients are obliged to use masks during their stay on the bus. (Masks will be provided from the company)
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change but are strictly followed at all times.
We keep our group sizes low so you have the freedom to move around and get involved with your surroundings, as well as more personal attention from our local guides. This intimate size ensures that your group will not crowd your experience. You can expect up to 30 travelers on a trip but the average is 10-15. Check individual trip pages for maximum group sizes.
It’s extremely difficult if not impossible to join a tour after it has begun. It is possible to leave a tour early however you will be responsible for your own arrangements from the moment you decide to leave the tour. You would also be responsible for all costs associated with joining a tour late or leaving one early. If you feel this may be necessary please consult a Fabulous Crete Specialist before you book your adventure.
Mercedes Benz & Volkswagen 9 seats buses
For privacy reasons we cannot provide you with advance details on your traveling companions. However, our tours appeal to a wide range of travellers, most of whom share an adventurous spirit and a desire to experience these destinations at a grass-roots level. Our tours are conducted in English and so they attract many travellers from North America, UK, Australia and Europe
The availability listed on our website is updated every minute however on some tours we must confirm arrangements with our people on the ground, a process which usually takes no more than 24 hours. When you book online you will receive a follow-up email confirming your arrangements or a timeframe for when they will be confirmed.
The security that comes from knowing your trip is locked-in is a feeling that can’t be topped. We like that feeling – so much, so that we figured everyone should have it.
Every departure is guaranteed to run. Yup, all of them. Once you’ve booked and paid, that’s it, you’re going. Guaranteed. Your trip won’t be cancelled by us for any reason (beyond harsh weather or safety issues). Promise.
All documentation is sent electronically by email. Shortly after we receive your payment we will send you your initial documents. Final documentation will be sent by email no later than two days prior to the departure.
Yes, all of our Tour Managers and Tour Drivers speak English, some speak additional languages as well, but your tour will be conducted in English
You will automatically receive an e-voucher to your email address. Please print your voucher/ticket or keep a picture to your mobile phone which contains your unique reference number. Please remember to bring this with you on the day. You will not be allowed entrance to an attraction without a valid ticket.
If there is any problem with your booking or payment details, we will contact you on the telephone number or email address stated in your booking. Sometimes tours may not operate due to insufficient numbers, and we may need to contact you to advise you of any such changes.
All entrance fees and costs are included in the tour price except unspecified fees.
If you book more than 2 tours with us, then please contact our friendly staff who will be happy to assist you with your inquiry and see what we can arrange for you at email@example.com
You could lose your seat to a walk-up passenger. We encourage you to arrive at the pickup point a minimum of 15 minutes before departure. Once on the tour, your guide or driver will give you a time that the coach will depart each location. You must be at the coach at least five minutes before this time. If you are late and miss the time given, the coach will depart without you in order to not keep the other passengers waiting. If you are in any doubt about a departure time whilst on your tour, you must ask the guide or driver.
5 days before the tour starts –> 50% refund, no refunds after that
35% Deposit on booking time and final payment 7 days before the tour date.