The Unique Tour of Samaria Gorge
Visit the largest gorge in Europe and live magnificent experiences…
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. There is no hotel pick-up included from the other regions in Crete.
Reviews 6 Reviews5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Fairly Easy
Group Size Large Group
- Discover the largest gorge in Europe
- Explore the amazing nature inside the gorge
- Once in a life-time experience
- Discover the South Chania
The gorge of Samaria is the gem of the White Mountains! Hidden in the south part of the Chania district, it is the biggest gorge in Europe, covering an area of 18 kilometres in length. The state park of Samaria was added to the World Network of Biosphere Reserves (MAB: Man & Biosphere) by UNESCO in 1981, with the aim to give prominence to and to protect valuable habitats for man and the rest of the biosphere.
The gorge of Samaria is counted among the top-destinations of the Chania district and a journey to Chania can never be considered complete, unless you visit the gorge… you should therefore venture a visit there and believe us when we say that its beauty will not let you down…
The gorge’s trail starts at Ksyloskalo (Omalos plateau, 1.227 meters altitude) and after following the river bed, it ends up at the littoral village of Agia Roumeli. The trail of Samaria is the most visited trail in the whole of Greece, it is excellently equipped with signals and signs which eliminate the danger of getting lost, it is comfortable and very well cared for, mostly with stones and soil. It is not considered a very difficult hike, a vivid proof of which is the fact that hundreds of people cross it daily from the opening (in May) till the closing of its visiting season (in October). It is a very pleasant hike, not a strenuous one, with many landscape alternations and a versatile environment. One should always keep in mind, however, that though the trail as a whole is not tricky, one should be more careful during some parts of the trek.
- We pick you up from your hotel or a location in its vicinity early in the morning and we drive you with our bus and our escort – mountain guide – to the Omalos plateau.
- The escort collects the money for the gorge entrance fee and the ferry fare (Agia Roumeli – Sougia) in the bus, in order to give you your tickets later.
- After reaching Omalos, we stop at a traditional tavern, giving you the chance to have breakfast or drink coffee (optional) before you enter the gorge.
- Subsequently, you pass through the entrance to the gorge and start your hike. In the gorge you walk at your own pace. Our escort comes in an hour after you for safety reasons, so as to follow after you. Should you need any sort of help during the hike, you can ask for their help.
- The gorge ends up at the village of Agia Roumeli; our escort will have already stipulated a meeting point there, in order for them to give you the tickets to the ferry, which will take you from Agia Roumeli.
- You have free time to swim in Agia Roumeli and have a lunch (optional) in one of the village’s taverns.
- At 17:30 you go aboard the ferry, Sougia or Sfakia (usually Sougia) being your destination.
- When you reach the port, our bus will be waiting to return you to your hotel.
- Our bus returns you to the location you have been picked up from.
- Your trip has come to an end… get some rest!
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking mountain guide
- Air-conditioned bus transportation
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entrance of the gorge (5€)
- Boat ticket (10€)
April to October
Departures from Chania
Terms & Conditions
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when this is considered necessary, for example in case of unfavorable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Reservations must be made 24 hours before the tour. A cancellation must be done 5 days before the tour. In case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company.
- If a tour is cancelled due to few participants or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
Keep in mind
The equipment you must have with you
- Proper footwear and socks
- A hat
- A bottle of water
- A swimsuit and a beach towel
The hike is not suggested for
- People facing health problems, or suffering from conditions affecting their lower extremities
- The elderly
- Pregnant women
Pick up times
Early in the morning
Starting from 06:30 am. The exact pick up time depends on hotel location or meeting point.
Children 6-12 years old: 20€ &
Children up to 15 years old free entrance to the Gorge &
Children from 6 up to 12 years old 50% boat discount
We keep our group sizes low so you have the freedom to move around and get involved with your surroundings, as well as more personal attention from our local guides. This intimate size ensures that your group will not crowd your experience. You can expect up to 50 travelers on a trip but the average is 30-35. Check individual trip pages for maximum group sizes.
It’s extremely difficult if not impossible to join a tour after it has begun. It is possible to leave a tour early however you will be responsible for your own arrangements from the moment you decide to leave the tour. You would also be responsible for all costs associated with joining a tour late or leaving one early. If you feel this may be necessary please consult a Fabulous Crete Specialist before you book your adventure.
50 seats buses
For privacy reasons we cannot provide you with advance details on your traveling companions. However, our tours appeal to a wide range of travellers, most of whom share an adventurous spirit and a desire to experience these destinations at a grass-roots level. Our tours are conducted in English and so they attract many travellers from North America, UK, Australia and Europe
The availability listed on our website is updated every minute however on some tours we must confirm arrangements with our people on the ground, a process which usually takes no more than 24 hours. When you book online you will receive a follow-up email confirming your arrangements or a timeframe for when they will be confirmed.
The security that comes from knowing your trip is locked-in is a feeling that can’t be topped. We like that feeling – so much, so that we figured everyone should have it.
Every departure is guaranteed to run. Yup, all of them. Once you’ve booked and paid, that’s it, you’re going. Guaranteed. Your trip won’t be cancelled by us for any reason (beyond harsh weather or safety issues). Promise.
All documentation is sent electronically by email. Shortly after we receive your payment we will send you your initial documents. Final documentation will be sent by email no later than two days prior to the departure.
Yes, all of our Tour Managers and Tour Drivers speak English, some speak additional languages as well, but your tour will be conducted in English
You will automatically receive an e-voucher to your email address. Please print your voucher/ticket or keep a picture to your mobile phone which contains your unique reference number. Please remember to bring this with you on the day. You will not be allowed entrance to an attraction without a valid ticket.
If there is any problem with your booking or payment details, we will contact you on the telephone number or email address stated in your booking. Sometimes tours may not operate due to insufficient numbers, and we may need to contact you to advise you of any such changes.
All entrance fees and costs are included in the tour price except unspecified fees.
If you book more than 2 tours with us, then please contact our friendly staff who will be happy to assist you with your inquiry and see what we can arrange for you at email@example.com
You could lose your seat to a walk-up passenger. We encourage you to arrive at the pickup point a minimum of 15 minutes before departure. Once on the tour, your guide or driver will give you a time that the coach will depart each location. You must be at the coach at least five minutes before this time. If you are late and miss the time given, the coach will depart without you in order to not keep the other passengers waiting. If you are in any doubt about a departure time whilst on your tour, you must ask the guide or driver.
5 days before the tour starts –> 50% refund, no refunds after that
35% Deposit on booking time and final payment 7 days before the tour date.