The Unique Tour of Samaria Gorgefrom
Hike the longest gorge in Europe & explore its endless beauties. Book our tour and let our mountain guide show you the Cretan flora & fauna
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. There is no hotel pick-up included from the other regions in Crete.
Reviews 6 Reviews5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Group Size Large Group
- Hike the largest gorge in Europe
- Learn about Crete’s flora & fauna
- Once in a life-time experience
- Explore the amazing nature inside the gorge
- Guaranteed safety inside the gorge by our mountain guide
- Discover the South shores of the Chania region & swim at the Lybian sea
The gorge of Samaria is the gem of the White Mountains! Hidden in the south part of the Chania district, it is the biggest gorge in Europe, covering an area of 18 kilometres in length. The nature park of Samaria was added to the World Network of Biosphere Reserves by UNESCO in 1981, with the aim to give prominence to and to protect valuable habitats for man and the rest of the biosphere. The gorge of Samaria is counted among the top destinations of the Chania district, and a journey to Chania can never be considered complete unless you visit the gorge. You should therefore attempt a visit there, and its beauty will definitely not disappoint you.
The gorge’s path starts at Xyloskalo (Omalos plateau, 1.227 meters altitude), and after following the river bed, it ends up at the littoral village of Agia Roumeli. The trail of Samaria is the most visited trail in the country. It is perfectly equipped with signals and signs which eliminate the danger of getting lost, it is comfortable and very well maintained, mostly with stones and soil. It is not considered a very difficult hike, vivid proof of which is the fact that hundreds of people cross it daily from the opening (in May) till the closing of its visiting season (in October). It is a very pleasant hike, not a strenuous one, with many landscape alternations and a multifaceted environment. One should always keep in mind, however, that though the trail as a whole is not tricky, one should be more careful during some parts of the trek.
We pick you up from your hotel or a near location early in the morning, and we drive to Omalos plateau. The mountain guide who escorts the trip will collect the money for the entrance fee and the ferry fare on the bus, in order to give you your tickets later. After reaching Omalos, we have a short stop for breakfast & coffee (optional) before you enter Samaria. Then we start hiking. Inside the gorge, you can walk at your own pace. Our escort follows the group at the end, so if anyone needs any sort of help during the hike, he will be there. The gorge ends up at the village of Agia Roumeli. Our escort will have already stipulated a meeting point there to give you the ferry tickets. You have free time to swim in Agia Roumeli or have lunch (optional). At 17:30, the group gets the ferry to Sougia or Sfakia (usually Sougia). The bus will be waiting at the port to drop you off at your hotel or the location you have been picked up from.
If you wish to explore more options return to the Hiking, Cycling & Outdoor Adventures page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking mountain guide
- Air-conditioned bus transportation
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entrance of the gorge (5€)
- Boat ticket (10€)
April to October
Tour starts from
Departures only from Chania
Duration of the tour
Including pick-up and drop-off time
Approximately 12 hours
Booking & Cancellation Policies
Please Read Carefully
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. Cancellation must be made 24 hours before the tour for a full refund. In the case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In the case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences, please inform the company in advance.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- This tour is not convenient for the elderly, pregnant women and people facing health problems, or suffering from conditions affecting their lower extremities
What to bring with you for this tour
...except your best mood & smile :)
- Comfortable clothing
- A second pair of socks
- Proper footwear (athletic shoes or hiking boots)
- Sunscreen & hat during summer months
- A swimsuit and a beach towel
- Don’t carry heavy bags with you
- A bottle of water & a snack
- Your Camera
- A jacket for the morning cold
Pick up points- times
Starting from 06:00 am. The exact pick up time depends on hotel location or meeting point.
*We recommend you to be at the pick-up area (your hotel or the pre-arranged meeting point) 5-10 minutes prior to your pick up time. Our driver/escort will be on time to welcome you and show your seat.
Children 6-12 years old: 20€ &
Children up to 15 years old free entrance to the Gorge &
Children from 6 up to 12 years old 50% boat discount
Further to the Government’s announcements, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to keep our guests safe and healthy, our staff will be intensely and detailed trained to meet all the requirements. The company has fully complied with all the Government’s necessary measures, The WHO and the National Public Health Organisation.
- Our fleet will be thoroughly cleaned and hygiene after each transfer and trip. All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls etc., are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
- Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and themselves.
- Hand sanitizers antiseptic will be provided during clients’ embarkation
- Clients are obliged to use masks during their stay on the bus. (Masks will be provided from the company)
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change but are strictly followed at all times.
We keep our group sizes low so you have the freedom to move around and get involved with your surroundings, as well as more personal attention from our local guides. This intimate size ensures that your group will not crowd your experience. You can expect up to 50 travelers on a trip but the average is 30-35. Check individual trip pages for maximum group sizes.
It’s extremely difficult if not impossible to join a tour after it has begun. It is possible to leave a tour early however you will be responsible for your own arrangements from the moment you decide to leave the tour. You would also be responsible for all costs associated with joining a tour late or leaving one early. If you feel this may be necessary please consult a Fabulous Crete Specialist before you book your adventure.
50 seats buses
For privacy reasons we cannot provide you with advance details on your traveling companions. However, our tours appeal to a wide range of travellers, most of whom share an adventurous spirit and a desire to experience these destinations at a grass-roots level. Our tours are conducted in English and so they attract many travellers from North America, UK, Australia and Europe
The availability listed on our website is updated every minute however on some tours we must confirm arrangements with our people on the ground, a process which usually takes no more than 24 hours. When you book online you will receive a follow-up email confirming your arrangements or a timeframe for when they will be confirmed.
The security that comes from knowing your trip is locked-in is a feeling that can’t be topped. We like that feeling – so much, so that we figured everyone should have it.
Every departure is guaranteed to run. Yup, all of them. Once you’ve booked and paid, that’s it, you’re going. Guaranteed. Your trip won’t be cancelled by us for any reason (beyond harsh weather or safety issues). Promise.
All documentation is sent electronically by email. Shortly after we receive your payment we will send you your initial documents. Final documentation will be sent by email no later than two days prior to the departure.
Yes, all of our Tour Managers and Tour Drivers speak English, some speak additional languages as well, but your tour will be conducted in English
You will automatically receive an e-voucher to your email address. Please print your voucher/ticket or keep a picture to your mobile phone which contains your unique reference number. Please remember to bring this with you on the day. You will not be allowed entrance to an attraction without a valid ticket.
If there is any problem with your booking or payment details, we will contact you on the telephone number or email address stated in your booking. Sometimes tours may not operate due to insufficient numbers, and we may need to contact you to advise you of any such changes.
All entrance fees and costs are included in the tour price except unspecified fees.
If you book more than 2 tours with us, then please contact our friendly staff who will be happy to assist you with your inquiry and see what we can arrange for you at firstname.lastname@example.org
You could lose your seat to a walk-up passenger. We encourage you to arrive at the pickup point a minimum of 15 minutes before departure. Once on the tour, your guide or driver will give you a time that the coach will depart each location. You must be at the coach at least five minutes before this time. If you are late and miss the time given, the coach will depart without you in order to not keep the other passengers waiting. If you are in any doubt about a departure time whilst on your tour, you must ask the guide or driver.
5 days before the tour starts –> 50% refund, no refunds after that
35% Deposit on booking time and final payment 7 days before the tour date.