Every Monday – Wednesday – Friday
The Cruise of Balos Lagoon and Gramvousa Islandfrom
The breathtaking view from Gramvousa castle & the turquoise crystal waters of Balos lagoon proves that paradise exists… You just can’t miss this place!
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. There is no hotel pick-up included from the other regions in Crete.
Reviews 1 Review5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Group Size Large Group
- Once in a life-time experience
- Explore the fortress of Gramvousa pirate island
- Experience the turquoise crystal water of Balos lagoon
- Swim to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world
- Bus round-trip to the port of Kasteli & regular boat day cruise
- Full-day cruise with optional lunch at the self-service restaurant
A must-do of a visitor of Chania is the cruise of Gramvousa and Balos. The unique fortress on the top of Gramvousa island and the spectacular panoramic view from up there cannot be described with words. The breathtaking environment of this jewel in northwest Chania is a place you need to put on your bucket list. Balos is one of the most popular destinations in Greece. The magnificent turquoise crystal water of the lagoon and the white & coral-pink sand is attracting people from around the globe. The place is large, and even if there are many visitors, there is always a quiet spot to enjoy paradise on earth. Don’t miss it!
Our trip starts from your hotel or a near location by bus, and the destination is the port of Kissamos. As soon as we reach the port, you go aboard the ship, ready for the cruise. The ship departs from the port at 10:20. An hour later, you reach the small island of Gramvousa. The ship stays on the island for two and a half hours. The castle of Gramvousa is to be found at the top of the island. It was built by Venetians on top of steep cliffs to fortify the island. Today it offers the visitors a mouthwatering view of the amazingly blue waters of the Cretan sea. If you wish, you can hike up the path towards the castle (20 minutes short hike). If not, you can swim on the beach.
The ship departs from Gramvousa island at 13:30. One of the most highlighted beaches of Crete, the lagoon of Balos the next destination. The journey is short and lasts only 20 minutes. You will stay in Balos for three hours. Words can’t possibly describe the wild beauty you will experience in Balos. The white and at some places pink sand, the turquoise warm and shallow waters – all these amazing elements come together to create a heavenly landscape, which you are bound to want to keep returning to!
The ship departs for Kisamos Port at 16:30. Onboard and throughout the journey, you can enjoy your meal in the self-service restaurants of the ship, where traditional Cretan dishes are being offered, or at the ship’s bar (all optional). You reach Kissamos port an hour later. Our bus will be waiting for you there, in order to take you back to your hotel.
If you wish to explore more options return to the The Incredible Beaches of Crete page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking guide
- Air-conditioned bus transportation
- Gratuities (optional)
- Boat ticket (18€)
- Local taxes (1€)
April to October
Tour starts from
Departures only from Chania
Duration of the tour
Including pick-up and drop-off time
Approximately 10 hours
Booking & Cancellation Policies
Please Read Carefully
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. Cancellation must be made 24 hours before the tour for a full refund. In the case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In the case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences, please inform the company in advance.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
What to bring with you for this tour
...except your best mood & smile :)
- Your Camera
- Comfortable clothing & shoes
- Sunscreen & hat
- During spring and autumn, we advise you to bring a jacket.
- Your swimsuit and a beach towel
Pick up times
Starting from 08:00 am. The exact pick up time depends on hotel location or meeting point.
*We recommend you to be at the pick-up area (your hotel or the pre-arranged meeting point) 5-10 minutes prior to your pick up time. Our driver/escort will be on time to welcome you and show your seat.
Children 2-6 years old : Free
Children 7-12 years old : 20€
Further to the Government’s announcements, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to keep our guests safe and healthy, our staff will be intensely and detailed trained to meet all the requirements. The company has fully complied with all the Government’s necessary measures, The WHO and the National Public Health Organisation.
- Our fleet will be thoroughly cleaned and hygiene after each transfer and trip. All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls etc., are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
- Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and themselves.
- Hand sanitizers antiseptic will be provided during clients’ embarkation
- Clients are obliged to use masks during their stay on the bus. (Masks will be provided from the company)
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change but are strictly followed at all times.
We keep our group sizes low so you have the freedom to move around and get involved with your surroundings, as well as more personal attention from our local guides. This intimate size ensures that your group will not crowd your experience. You can expect up to 50 travelers on a trip but the average is 30-35. Check individual trip pages for maximum group sizes.
It’s extremely difficult if not impossible to join a tour after it has begun. It is possible to leave a tour early however you will be responsible for your own arrangements from the moment you decide to leave the tour. You would also be responsible for all costs associated with joining a tour late or leaving one early. If you feel this may be necessary please consult a Fabulous Crete Specialist before you book your adventure.
50 seats buses
For privacy reasons we cannot provide you with advance details on your traveling companions. However, our tours appeal to a wide range of travellers, most of whom share an adventurous spirit and a desire to experience these destinations at a grass-roots level. Our tours are conducted in English and so they attract many travellers from North America, UK, Australia and Europe
The availability listed on our website is updated every minute however on some tours we must confirm arrangements with our people on the ground, a process which usually takes no more than 24 hours. When you book online you will receive a follow-up email confirming your arrangements or a timeframe for when they will be confirmed.
The security that comes from knowing your trip is locked-in is a feeling that can’t be topped. We like that feeling – so much, so that we figured everyone should have it.
Every departure is guaranteed to run. Yup, all of them. Once you’ve booked and paid, that’s it, you’re going. Guaranteed. Your trip won’t be cancelled by us for any reason (beyond harsh weather or safety issues). Promise.
All documentation is sent electronically by email. Shortly after we receive your payment we will send you your initial documents. Final documentation will be sent by email no later than two days prior to the departure.
Yes, all of our Tour Managers and Tour Drivers speak English, some speak additional languages as well, but your tour will be conducted in English
You will automatically receive an e-voucher to your email address. Please print your voucher/ticket or keep a picture to your mobile phone which contains your unique reference number. Please remember to bring this with you on the day. You will not be allowed entrance to an attraction without a valid ticket.
If there is any problem with your booking or payment details, we will contact you on the telephone number or email address stated in your booking. Sometimes tours may not operate due to insufficient numbers, and we may need to contact you to advise you of any such changes.
All entrance fees and costs are included in the tour price except unspecified fees.
If you book more than 2 tours with us, then please contact our friendly staff who will be happy to assist you with your inquiry and see what we can arrange for you at firstname.lastname@example.org
You could lose your seat to a walk-up passenger. We encourage you to arrive at the pickup point a minimum of 15 minutes before departure. Once on the tour, your guide or driver will give you a time that the coach will depart each location. You must be at the coach at least five minutes before this time. If you are late and miss the time given, the coach will depart without you in order to not keep the other passengers waiting. If you are in any doubt about a departure time whilst on your tour, you must ask the guide or driver.
5 days before the tour starts –> 50% refund, no refunds after that
35% Deposit on booking time and final payment 7 days before the tour date.