WWII – The Battle of Crete Day Tourfrom
Discover the greatness of Cretan history and learn about one of the most critical battles in WWII. Visit the battlegrounds of Chania, the war cemeteries & monuments, private collections with original relics and discover the unknown stories of the Battle of Crete!
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. For pick-up from the other regions in Crete, please contact us.
Reviews 2 Reviews5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Group Size Small Group
- Visit the Maleme airfield from above and Tavronitis historical bridge
- Discover the battlegrounds of Galatas and Ayia prison valley
- War monuments around the area of the battle
- Explore the WWII exhibitions in small museums and secret shelters
- Visit the German and British Commonwealth war cemeteries
- Analytic details about the historical battle of Crete
- Small-group tour ensures a more relaxing and personal experience
[…]Turning to Student, the Fuhrer said quietly: “Of course, General, you know that after Crete we shall never do another Airborne operation. The parachute arm relies entirely on surprise. That surprise factor has now exhausted itself…the day of the Paratroops is over”.
Adolf Hitler, Wolfschanze July 1941…
The tour’s description will start from the beginning of WWII and how the greatest war that the world has ever seen affected East-South Europe, Greece and Crete. There will be analytic descriptions about operation “Marita”, the glorious Greek-Italian war of 1940 and under what circumstances the operation “Mercury” began. Crete’s battle was one of the most important war theatres in WWII, and the resistance played a very important role in reviving the allied troops’ morale around the world.
On this tour, you will have the chance to see the key-locations of the battle of Crete. A few kilometres from Chania is Maleme, Tavronitis and Galatas, where the tour starts. Analyzing the battle extensively, there will be a detailed schedule for the rest of our day. Some of the locations you will visit are the German and British Commonwealth war cemeteries, high spots to have panoramic views and understand everything about the battle on a live map, secret shelters and monuments.
The general historical facts of the battle of Crete are known. In this tour, you will discover the original details and the unknown stories behind the scenes. You will have the chance to tour around the places where heroism and hope was a life goal for the Cretan partisans and the Greek, British, Australian and New Zeeland troops. The battle of Crete changed the world in many different ways and especially the evolution of airborne warfare. Join us and explore the legendary and glorious WWII history of Crete.
If you wish to explore more options return to the Cultural & Historical Tours page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking, local driver/escort
- All entrance fees
- Snacks and bottled water per person
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus/minivan
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Small-group tour (up to 18pax)
- Gratuities (optional)
Every Monday & Thursday
Tour starts from
Duration of the tour
Including pick-up and drop-off time
Approximately 6-7 hours
Booking & Cancellation Policies
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. Cancellation must be made 24 hours before the tour for a full refund. In the case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In the case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences, please inform the company in advance.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Regular Stops – There are stops every 30-40 minutes, for everyone’s convenience. If a client feels sick or it is necessary to stop, please inform your driver accordingly.
Pick up times
- 09:00 – Kriti hotel
- 09:05 – Quick film
- 09:10 –SanSal Boutique Hotel
- 09:15 – Sunny Rent Car (Nea Chora area)
- 09:20 – Loca Cafe (Agioi Apostoloi area)
- 09:45 – Kalamaki, Stalos, Agia Marina, Platanias, Maleme, Tavronitis
*We recommend you to be at the pick-up area (your hotel or the pre-arranged meeting point) 5-10 minutes prior to your pick up time. Our driver/escort will be on time to welcome you and show your seat.
What to bring with you for this tour
...except your best mood & smile :)
- Your Camera
- Comfortable clothing & shoes
- Sunscreen & hat during summer months
- During spring and autumn, we advise you to bring a jacket
Snacks & Alternatives
Vegetarian - Vegan- Allergies
- This tour includes a sandwich with ham, cheese and tomato per person
- We can offer vegetarian – vegan alternatives, but we require prior notice during reservation.
- The client has the responsibility to inform the company in advance of any food allergies to find suitable alternatives if possible.
Infants 0-2 years old: FreeChildren 3-11 years old : 75€
Further to the Government’s announcements, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to keep our guests safe and healthy, our staff will be intensely and detailed trained to meet all the requirements. The company has fully complied with all the Government’s necessary measures, The WHO and the National Public Health Organisation.
- Our fleet will be thoroughly cleaned and hygiene after each transfer and trip. All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls etc., are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
- Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and themselves.
- Hand sanitizers antiseptic will be provided during clients’ embarkation
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change but are strictly followed at all times.
We keep our group sizes low so you have the freedom to move around and get involved with your surroundings, as well as more personal attention from our local guides. This intimate size ensures that your group will not crowd your experience. You can expect up to 30 travelers on a trip but the average is 10-15. Check individual trip pages for maximum group sizes.
It’s extremely difficult if not impossible to join a tour after it has begun. It is possible to leave a tour early however you will be responsible for your own arrangements from the moment you decide to leave the tour. You would also be responsible for all costs associated with joining a tour late or leaving one early. If you feel this may be necessary please consult a Fabulous Crete Specialist before you book your adventure.
Mercedes Benz & Volkswagen 9 seats buses
For privacy reasons we cannot provide you with advance details on your traveling companions. However, our tours appeal to a wide range of travellers, most of whom share an adventurous spirit and a desire to experience these destinations at a grass-roots level. Our tours are conducted in English and so they attract many travellers from North America, UK, Australia and Europe
The availability listed on our website is updated every minute however on some tours we must confirm arrangements with our people on the ground, a process which usually takes no more than 24 hours. When you book online you will receive a follow-up email confirming your arrangements or a timeframe for when they will be confirmed.
The security that comes from knowing your trip is locked-in is a feeling that can’t be topped. We like that feeling – so much, so that we figured everyone should have it.
Every departure is guaranteed to run. Yup, all of them. Once you’ve booked and paid, that’s it, you’re going. Guaranteed. Your trip won’t be cancelled by us for any reason (beyond harsh weather or safety issues). Promise.
All documentation is sent electronically by email. Shortly after we receive your payment we will send you your initial documents. Final documentation will be sent by email no later than two days prior to the departure.
Yes, all of our Tour Managers and Tour Drivers speak English, some speak additional languages as well, but your tour will be conducted in English
You will automatically receive an e-voucher to your email address. Please print your voucher/ticket or keep a picture to your mobile phone which contains your unique reference number. Please remember to bring this with you on the day. You will not be allowed entrance to an attraction without a valid ticket.
If there is any problem with your booking or payment details, we will contact you on the telephone number or email address stated in your booking. Sometimes tours may not operate due to insufficient numbers, and we may need to contact you to advise you of any such changes.
All entrance fees and costs are included in the tour price except unspecified fees.
If you book more than 2 tours with us, then please contact our friendly staff who will be happy to assist you with your inquiry and see what we can arrange for you at email@example.com
You could lose your seat to a walk-up passenger. We encourage you to arrive at the pickup point a minimum of 15 minutes before departure. Once on the tour, your guide or driver will give you a time that the coach will depart each location. You must be at the coach at least five minutes before this time. If you are late and miss the time given, the coach will depart without you in order to not keep the other passengers waiting. If you are in any doubt about a departure time whilst on your tour, you must ask the guide or driver.
5 days before the tour starts –> 50% refund, no refunds after that
35% Deposit on booking time and final payment 7 days before the tour date.