WWII – The Battle Of Crete 2 Days Private Tourfrom
Discover the greatness of Cretan history and learn about one of the most critical battles in WWII. Visit the battlegrounds of Chania, the war cemeteries & monuments, private collections with original relics, the evacuation port of Sfakia & discover the unknown stories of the Battle of Crete!
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. For pick-up from the other regions in Crete, please contact us.
Please book the first day of your tour online and contact us about the second one. It can be the next or any other day you prefer.
Reviews 1 Review5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Group Size Small Group
- Visit the Maleme airfield from above and Tavronitis historical bridge
- Discover the battle of Galatas and Ayia prison valley
- War monuments around the area of the battle
- Explore the WWII exhibitions in small museums and secret shelters
- Visit the German and British Commonwealth war cemeteries
- Ports and key-locations of South Crete
- Discover the evacuation route of the British forces after the battle
- Visit hidden spots and unknown locations along with war exhibitions
- Analytic details about the historical battle of Crete
- Chauffeured private tour ensures a more relaxing and personal experience
[…]Turning to Student, the Fuhrer said quietly: “Of course, General, you know that after Crete we shall never do another Airborne operation. The parachute arm relies entirely on surprise. That surprise factor has now exhausted itself…the day of the Paratroops is over”.
Adolf Hitler, Wolfschanze July 1941…
Our tour will start from the beginning of WWII and how the world’s greatest war has ever seen affected East-South Europe, Greece and Crete. We will analyze the operation “Marita”, the glorious Greek-Italian war of 1940 and under what circumstances the operation “Mercury” began. Crete’s battle was one of the most important war theatres in WWII, and the resistance played a significant role in reviving the allied troops’ morale around the world.
Day One – The war theatre of Chania
On the first day of this tour, you will have the chance to see the key-locations of Crete’s battle. A few kilometres from Chania is Maleme, Tavronitis and Galatas, where we start. We will analyze the battle, and there will be a detailed schedule for the rest of our day. We will visit some of the locations we will visit: the German and Allies war cemeteries, high spots to have panoramic views and understand everything about the battle on a live map, secret shelters, and monuments.
Day Two – The Evacuation
The end of the battle is close, and general Fryberg orders all his troops to withdraw. He has an evacuation plan. That was a life bet for Fryberg and Wavell to save the allies during the retreat. The Cretan partisans helped and led the allied troops through the mountains to the South harbours, where the warships were waiting for them. The narrow mountain paths were extremely dangerous and unknown, but not for the locals. We will follow the route through the mountain from the North to the South, reaching Sfakia, the port that saved thousands of privates. You will also visit places where the allied troops passed and their signs are still alive, in South Rethymnon and from high spots, we will discover the area where the great evacuation took place.
The general historical facts of the battle of Crete are known. Together we will discover the original details and the unknown stories behind the scenes. You will have the chance to tour around the places where heroism and hope was a life goal for the Cretan partisans and the Greek, British, Australian and New Zealand troops. The battle of Crete changed the world in many different ways. Join us and explore the legendary and glorious WWII history of Crete.
If you wish to explore more options return to the Cultural & Historical Tours page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking, local escort
- All entrance fees
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Bottled water & Snacks per person (for both days)
- Gratuities (optional)
Tour starts from
Departures from Chania
Duration of the tour
Including pick-up and drop-off time
2 Days: 6-7 hours each day
Booking & Cancellation Policies
Please Read Carefully
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. Cancellation must be made 24 hours before the tour for a full refund. In the case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In the case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences, please inform the company in advance.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Regular Stops – There are stops every 30-40 minutes, for everyone’s convenience. If a client feels sick or it is necessary to stop, please inform your driver accordingly.
Pick up times
What to bring with you for this tour
...except your best mood & smile :)
- Your Camera
- Comfortable clothing & shoes
- Sunscreen & hat during summer months
- During spring and autumn, we advise you to bring a jacket
Meals & Alternatives
Vegetarian - Vegan- Allergies
- This tour is including bottled water per person and a sandwich with ham, cheese and tomato every day.
- We can offer vegetarian – vegan alternatives, but we require prior notice during reservation.
- The client has the responsibility to inform the company in advance of any food allergies to find suitable alternatives if possible.
- Alcohol consumption is not allowed for children and teenagers under the age of 18 years old.
Further to the Government’s announcements, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to keep our guests safe and healthy, our staff will be intensely and detailed trained to meet all the requirements. The company has fully complied with all the Government’s necessary measures, The WHO and the National Public Health Organisation.
- Our fleet will be thoroughly cleaned and hygiene after each transfer and trip. All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls etc., are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
- Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and themselves.
- Hand sanitizers antiseptic will be provided during clients’ embarkation
- Clients are obliged to use masks during their stay on the bus. (Masks will be provided from the company)
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change but are strictly followed at all times.
We keep our group sizes low so you have the freedom to move around and get involved with your surroundings, as well as more personal attention from our local guides. This intimate size ensures that your group will not crowd your experience. You can expect up to 30 travelers on a trip but the average is 10-15. Check individual trip pages for maximum group sizes.
It’s extremely difficult if not impossible to join a tour after it has begun. It is possible to leave a tour early however you will be responsible for your own arrangements from the moment you decide to leave the tour. You would also be responsible for all costs associated with joining a tour late or leaving one early. If you feel this may be necessary please consult a Fabulous Crete Specialist before you book your adventure.
Mercedes Benz & Volkswagen 9 seats buses – any Mercedes or Volkswagen minibus
For privacy reasons we cannot provide you with advance details on your traveling companions. However, our tours appeal to a wide range of travellers, most of whom share an adventurous spirit and a desire to experience these destinations at a grass-roots level. Our tours are conducted in English and so they attract many travellers from North America, UK, Australia and Europe
The availability listed on our website is updated every minute however on some tours we must confirm arrangements with our people on the ground, a process which usually takes no more than 24 hours. When you book online you will receive a follow-up email confirming your arrangements or a timeframe for when they will be confirmed.
The security that comes from knowing your trip is locked-in is a feeling that can’t be topped. We like that feeling – so much, so that we figured everyone should have it.
Every departure is guaranteed to run. Yup, all of them. Once you’ve booked and paid, that’s it, you’re going. Guaranteed. Your trip won’t be cancelled by us for any reason (beyond harsh weather or safety issues). Promise.
All documentation is sent electronically by email. Shortly after we receive your payment we will send you your initial documents. Final documentation will be sent by email no later than two days prior to the departure.
Yes, all of our Tour Managers and Tour Drivers speak English, some speak additional languages as well, but your tour will be conducted in English
You will automatically receive an e-voucher to your email address. Please print your voucher/ticket or keep a picture to your mobile phone which contains your unique reference number. Please remember to bring this with you on the day. You will not be allowed entrance to an attraction without a valid ticket.
If there is any problem with your booking or payment details, we will contact you on the telephone number or email address stated in your booking. Sometimes tours may not operate due to insufficient numbers, and we may need to contact you to advise you of any such changes.
All entrance fees and costs are included in the tour price except unspecified fees.
If you book more than 2 tours with us, then please contact our friendly staff who will be happy to assist you with your inquiry and see what we can arrange for you at firstname.lastname@example.org
You could lose your seat to a walk-up passenger. We encourage you to arrive at the pickup point a minimum of 15 minutes before departure. Once on the tour, your guide or driver will give you a time that the coach will depart each location. You must be at the coach at least five minutes before this time. If you are late and miss the time given, the coach will depart without you in order to not keep the other passengers waiting. If you are in any doubt about a departure time whilst on your tour, you must ask the guide or driver.
5 days before the tour starts –> 50% refund, no refunds after that
35% Deposit on booking time and final payment 7 days before the tour date.