The Private Vine-Harvest Day Trip in Chaniafrom
Discover the secrets of Cretan viniculture & take part in a traditional harvest. Make wine with the locals and live a unique experience
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. For pick-up from the other regions in Crete, please contact us.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Take part in the wine-making process.
- Traditional vine-harvest in our family vineyard
- Make wine in a traditional family cottage-house
- Taste freshly made dinner along with good Cretan wine.
- Hear stories and origins behind the wine-making tradition
- Explore the theme rooms of the house and Crete through the ages
- Enjoy the fantastic view of the Aegean Sea and the mountain around.
- Wine tasting combined with cheese platters of different Cretan varieties.
The wine-making tradition in Crete has profound roots! From the ancient Minoans to modern times, vine-harvest is a significant and unique celebration. This tour is designed and written from the hosts’ childhood memories. You will take part in the wine-making process in the traditional old-fashioned way! The miracle of wine-making with its secrets will be revealed in front of your eyes!
Starting from the family vineyard, you will harvest the indigenous varieties of grapes like “Romeiko”, “Vidiano”, “Vilana”, “Kotsifali” and “Mantilari”. It is a unique procedure and a grand celebration because locals are singing and dancing traditional Cretan songs. These voices and songs are echoing. The White Mountains are hearing. It is so hard to describe these feelings. You will only understand if you experience it!
Afterwards, you will visit the family cottage-house. It is a traditional Cretan house, built at the beginning of the 19th century and fully restored. It will make you feel the Cretan hospitality and share with you many things about the Cretan traditions. Secret rooms will present you, Crete, through the centuries. The old cellar is waiting for newly produced wine, so the procedure begins. The treadle is ready and altogether is stepping on the grapes with our feet. The first juice of the grapes appears, and we continue smashing them. After a lengthy smashing procedure, the grapes have to stay with the juice. All they want is a rose or mid red colour.
Now the feast begins! You will have a traditional Cretan dinner enjoying the local delicacies with much wine! It was a hard-working day, but the dinner will make up for it!
If you wish to explore more options return to the Wine & Food Tours page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking, local escort
- Wine and food tasting
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Private tour
- Wine-making process
- Photos taken on tour are sent electronically via e-mail
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional food and drinks
In August and September Upon request
Tour starts from
Apokoronas, Chania, Crete
If you wish a pick up from another region of Crete, please contact us for availability & rates
Duration of the tour
Including pick-up and drop-off time
Approximately 8-9 hours
Booking & Cancellation Policies
Please Read Carefully
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. Cancellation must be made 24 hours before the tour for a full refund. In the case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In the case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences, please inform the company in advance.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Regular Stops – There are stops every 30-40 minutes, for everyone’s convenience. If a client feels sick or it is necessary to stop, please inform your driver accordingly.
Pick up points- times
- 09:00-09:30 am
We will pick you up from your hotel’s lobby.
What to bring with you for this tour
...except your best mood & smile :)
- Your Camera
- Comfortable clothing & shoes
- Extra clothes & socks
- Sunscreen & hat during summer months
- During spring and autumn, we advise you to bring a jacket.
Meals & Alternatives
Vegetarian - Vegan- Allergies
- Meals (when included) usually contain traditional Cretan recipes.
- Appetizers, main courses and desserts will usually be served in platters according to the local way of eating.
- We can offer vegetarian – vegan alternatives, but we require prior notice during reservation.
- The client has the responsibility to inform the company in advance of any food allergies to find suitable alternatives if possible.
- Alcohol consumption is not allowed for children and teenagers under the age of 18 years old.
Further to the Government’s announcements, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to keep our guests safe and healthy, our staff will be intensely and detailed trained to meet all the requirements. The company has fully complied with all the Government’s necessary measures, The WHO and the National Public Health Organisation.
- Our fleet will be thoroughly cleaned and hygiene after each transfer and trip. All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls etc., are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
- Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and themselves.
- Hand sanitizers antiseptic will be provided during clients’ embarkation
- Clients are obliged to use masks during their stay on the bus. (Masks will be provided from the company)
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change but are strictly followed at all times.