Every Tuesday & Friday
Traditional Cretan Dancing Lessons – Day Tour in Chaniafrom
Indulge yourself into a surprising dancing adventure. Dance like a Cretan and discover the elements of the local history, culture and arts. Learn about the traditional Cretan dances by one of the best local instructors.
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. For pick-up from the other regions in Crete, please contact us.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Group Size Small Group
- Explore the historical village of Alikianos
- Enjoy a Greek coffee/tea at a local coffee shop
- Listen to the island’s tales, secrets & legends
- Dress like a Cretan and learn everything about the traditional outfit
- Commemorative photos of you in the Cretan outfit will be sent (free)
- Learn the most famous Cretan dances from a local instructor
- Dance with the locals and learn about the island’s costumes and traditions
- Taste the local delicacies and enjoy a traditional Cretan lunch
Not far from the city of Chania, you will discover the historic village of Alikianos. We will pick you up from your hotel or a pre-arranged meeting point and drive through the green valley of Ayia towards the South-West province of Chania. As soon as we arrive in Alikianos, we will enjoy a morning walk around the village’s alleys and monuments. Your instructor will enjoy a coffee with you at the local “kafeneio” (coffee shop), where he will share some of the stories and traditions behind the art of the traditional dances. “Syrtos”, “Pentozali”, “Sousta” now means nothing to you. But later, every inch of your body will discover everything about them.
After our morning walk and coffee, we are heading to the dancing academy. There, we start with the traditional Cretan outfit. Your instructor will dress you like a Cretan, explaining every one of the local uniform parts. Every piece of cloth has a story behind it, and it will be so surprising for you to learn such details that only a few visitors know. As soon as you are dressed like a local, there will be a photo shooting, and you will get these commemorative photos to remember your experience with us. Then, we will proceed to the dancing room. One of the best Cretan dancers will show you the steps and teach you how to dance like a local. There will be a lot of information, and your instructor will patiently guide you step by step. By the end of the lessons, you will be ready to perform at least three traditional Cretan dances.
You will be definitely tired, so it’s time for lunch. Not far from the academy, there is a restaurant where you will have the chance to taste the local delicacies and have full lunch. This mouthwatering experience will end with hotel drop-off and the promise that someday we will dance again together!
If you wish to explore more options return to the Cultural & Historical Tours page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking, driver & dance instructor
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Dancing lessons
- Commemorative photos
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Full Traditional Cretan Lunch
- Small-group tour – up to 8 people
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional food and drinks
Tour starts from
Duration of the tour
Including pick-up and drop-off time
Approximately 6 hours
Booking & Cancellation Policies
Please Read Carefully
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. Cancellation must be made 24 hours before the tour for a full refund. In the case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In the case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences, please inform the company in advance.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
Pick up points- times
- 08:50 – Kriti hotel
- 09:00 – Quick Film
- 09:10 – SanSal Boutique Hotel
- 09:15 – Sunny Rent Car
- 09:30 – Xenios Dias and Golden Beach central parking (Agioi Apostoloi area)
- 09:50 – of Kalamaki, Stalos, Agia Marina, Platanias, Maleme, Tavronitis
*We recommend you to be at the pick-up area (your hotel or the pre-arranged meeting point) 5-10 minutes prior to your pick up time. Our driver/escort will be on time to welcome you and show your seat.
What to bring with you for this tour
...except your best mood & smile :)
- Your Camera
- Comfortable clothing & shoes
- Extra clothes to change after the dancing class
- Sunscreen & hat during summer months
- During spring and autumn, we advise you to bring a jacket
Meals & Alternatives
Vegetarian - Vegan- Allergies
- Meals usually contain traditional Cretan recipes.
- Appetizers, main courses and desserts will usually be served in platters according to the local way of eating.
- We can offer vegetarian – vegan alternatives, but we require prior notice during reservation.
- The client has the responsibility to inform the company in advance of any food allergies to find suitable alternatives if possible.
- Alcohol consumption is not allowed for children and teenagers under the age of 18 years old.
Children 2-6 years old – FreeChildren 7-12 years old – 75€
Further to the Government’s announcements, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to keep our guests safe and healthy, our staff will be intensely and detailed trained to meet all the requirements. The company has fully complied with all the Government’s necessary measures, The WHO and the National Public Health Organisation.
- Our fleet will be thoroughly cleaned and hygiene after each transfer and trip. All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls etc., are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
- Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and themselves.
- Hand sanitizers antiseptic will be provided during clients’ embarkation
- Clients are obliged to use masks during their stay on the bus. (Masks will be provided from the company)
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change but are strictly followed at all times.
We keep our group sizes low so you have the freedom to move around and get involved with your surroundings, as well as more personal attention from our local guides. This intimate size ensures that your group will not crowd your experience. You can expect up to 8 travelers on a trip but the average is 4-5. Check individual trip pages for maximum group sizes.
It’s extremely difficult if not impossible to join a tour after it has begun. It is possible to leave a tour early however you will be responsible for your own arrangements from the moment you decide to leave the tour. You would also be responsible for all costs associated with joining a tour late or leaving one early. If you feel this may be necessary please consult a Fabulous Crete Specialist before you book your adventure.
Mercedes Benz & Volkswagen 9 seats buses
For privacy reasons we cannot provide you with advance details on your traveling companions. However, our tours appeal to a wide range of travellers, most of whom share an adventurous spirit and a desire to experience these destinations at a grass-roots level. Our tours are conducted in English and so they attract many travellers from North America, UK, Australia and Europe
The availability listed on our website is updated every minute however on some tours we must confirm arrangements with our people on the ground, a process which usually takes no more than 24 hours. When you book online you will receive a follow-up email confirming your arrangements or a timeframe for when they will be confirmed.
The security that comes from knowing your trip is locked-in is a feeling that can’t be topped. We like that feeling – so much, so that we figured everyone should have it.
Every departure is guaranteed to run. Yup, all of them. Once you’ve booked and paid, that’s it, you’re going. Guaranteed. Your trip won’t be cancelled by us for any reason (beyond harsh weather or safety issues). Promise.
All documentation is sent electronically by email. Shortly after we receive your payment we will send you your initial documents. Final documentation will be sent by email no later than two days prior to the departure.
Yes, all of our Tour Managers and Tour Drivers speak English, some speak additional languages as well, but your tour will be conducted in English
You will automatically receive an e-voucher to your email address. Please print your voucher/ticket or keep a picture to your mobile phone which contains your unique reference number. Please remember to bring this with you on the day. You will not be allowed entrance to an attraction without a valid ticket.
If there is any problem with your booking or payment details, we will contact you on the telephone number or email address stated in your booking. Sometimes tours may not operate due to insufficient numbers, and we may need to contact you to advise you of any such changes.
All entrance fees and costs are included in the tour price except unspecified fees.
If you book more than 2 tours with us, then please contact our friendly staff who will be happy to assist you with your inquiry and see what we can arrange for you at firstname.lastname@example.org
You could lose your seat to a walk-up passenger. We encourage you to arrive at the pickup point a minimum of 15 minutes before departure. Once on the tour, your guide or driver will give you a time that the coach will depart each location. You must be at the coach at least five minutes before this time. If you are late and miss the time given, the coach will depart without you in order to not keep the other passengers waiting. If you are in any doubt about a departure time whilst on your tour, you must ask the guide or driver.
5 days before the tour starts –> 50% refund, no refunds after that
35% Deposit on booking time and final payment 7 days before the tour date.