The Private Hiking Tour Of Imbros Gorgefrom
Hike the second most famous gorge in Chania with our local mountain-guide. Explore nature and learn about the Cretan flora & fauna.
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. For pick-up from the other regions in Crete, please contact us.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Enjoy a comfortable and easy hike.
- Discover the beauties of South Crete.
- Explore the stunning nature inside the gorge.
- Learn everything about the island’s flora & fauna.
- Swim in the crystal clear water of the Libyan sea.
- Hike the gorge with an experienced mountain-guide.
- Visit the historical Sfakia village and taste the local delicacies.
- Chauffeured private tour ensures a more relaxing and personal experience.
Imbros is the island’s second most famous gorge. Located parallel to Samaria, its big sister, Imbros, start from the homonymous village and ends at Kommitades, a beautiful small town in Sfakia province. It is a comfortable 8 km (5 miles) hike, and you will approximately need 2-3 hours to the exit. Its narrowest and the most spectacular part is just 1.60m wide.
Your escort will pick you up from your hotel’s lobby. After approximately 90 minutes, we will arrive in the village of Imbros. Then, we stop for coffee or local breakfast (optional) before we start the hike. As soon as you’re ready, you enter the gorge with your licensed trekking guide, who will inform you about the native plants and give you more information about the area and the island’s flora & fauna. The first 30 minutes of the hike is downhill through a beautiful natural environment. The gorge is becoming narrower as you keep walking. After around 75 minutes, you will be at the thinnest and most imposing spot of it. The walls of the gorge are less than 2 metres apart and tower 300 metres above.
Imbros opens onto the sea at Komitades. There you can relax and enjoy a drink at the local coffee shops & tavernas before leaving the village for the capital of Sfakia province, Chora Sfakion. There we are definitely suggesting you swim in the turquoise crystal water of the Libyan Sea. Finally, you can taste the local delicacies and lunch in one of the traditional Cretan restaurants (optional). You will be dropped off at your hotel early in the afternoon.
If you wish to explore more options return to the Hiking, Cycling & Outdoor Adventures page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking driver
- English speaking mountain guide
- Bottled water per person
- Gorge’s entrance fee
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus/minivan
- Private tour
- Gratuities (optional)
April to October
Tour starts from
Departures from Chania region
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. For hotel pick-up from the other regions of Crete, please contact us.
Duration of the tour
Including pick-up and drop-off time
Approximately 6-7 hours
Booking & Cancellation Policies
Please Read Carefully
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. Cancellation must be made 24 hours before the tour for a full refund. In the case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In the case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences, please inform the company in advance.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Regular Stops – There are stops every 30-40 minutes, for everyone’s convenience. If a client feels sick or it is necessary to stop, please inform your driver accordingly.
Pick up times
We will pick you up from your hotel’s lobby.
What to bring with you for this tour
...except your best mood & smile :)
- Your Camera
- Comfortable clothing & shoes – Ideally Hiking boots
- An extra pair of socks & t-shirt
- Swimming suit & towel
- Hiking poles if you think it’s necessary
- Sunscreen & hat during summer months
- During spring and autumn, we advise you to bring a jacket
Meals & Alternatives
Vegetarian - Vegan- Allergies
- Meals (when included) usually contain traditional Cretan recipes.
- Appetizers, main courses and desserts will usually be served in platters according to the local way of eating.
- We can offer vegetarian – vegan alternatives, but we require prior notice during reservation.
- The client has the responsibility to inform the company in advance of any food allergies to find suitable alternatives if possible.
- Alcohol consumption is not allowed for children and teenagers under the age of 18 years old.
Further to the Government’s announcements, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to keep our guests safe and healthy, our staff will be intensely and detailed trained to meet all the requirements. The company has fully complied with all the Government’s necessary measures, The WHO and the National Public Health Organisation.
- Our fleet will be thoroughly cleaned and hygiene after each transfer and trip. All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls etc., are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
- Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and themselves.
- Hand sanitizers antiseptic will be provided during clients’ embarkation
- Clients are obliged to use masks during their stay on the bus. (Masks will be provided from the company)
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change but are strictly followed at all times.
We keep our group sizes low so you have the freedom to move around and get involved with your surroundings, as well as more personal attention from our local guides. This intimate size ensures that your group will not crowd your experience. You can participate up to 18 travelers maximum on a trip. Check individual trip pages for maximum group sizes.
The availability listed on our website is updated every minute however on some tours we must confirm arrangements with our people on the ground, a process which usually takes no more than 24 hours. When you book online you will receive a follow-up email confirming your arrangements or a timeframe for when they will be confirmed.
Every departure is guaranteed to run. Yup, all of them. Once you’ve booked and paid, that’s it, you’re going. Guaranteed. Your trip won’t be cancelled by us for any reason (beyond harsh weather or safety issues). Promise.
All documentation is sent electronically by email. Shortly after we receive your payment we will send you your initial documents. Final documentation will be sent by email no later than two days prior to the departure.
Yes, all of our Tour Managers and Tour Drivers speak English, some speak additional languages as well, but your tour will be conducted in English
You will automatically receive an e-voucher to your email address. Please print your voucher/ticket or keep a picture to your mobile phone which contains your unique reference number. Please remember to bring this with you on the day. You will not be allowed entrance to an attraction without a valid ticket.
If there is any problem with your booking or payment details, we will contact you on the telephone number or email address stated in your booking. Sometimes tours may not operate due to insufficient numbers, and we may need to contact you to advise you of any such changes.