The Holy Wine
Wine tour to a unique Monastery which will take your breath away…
Reviews 2 Reviews5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Leisurely
Group Size Small Group
- Wine tasting in Cretan and international varieties
- Visit the traditional old cellar
- Incredible museum exhibits
- Details about winemaking tradition in Crete and the art of food pairing
- Delicious gastronomy experiences
- Learn about local viticulture, grapes, and vine-growing
- Chauffeured private tour ensures a more relaxing and personal experience
- Learn how to properly taste wine and sample organic varietals paired with locally produced meat or cheese
- Discover the history and mythology of Crete
You will start the tour from Chania city center around 10:00 in the morning, heading to a magnificent and historical hill where you can admire the panoramic view of the town. The wine roads of Chania are leading you to an extraordinary monastery, in the foothills of an old mountain range, built in 17th century by two monks from the ancient traditional Cretan family. The architecture of the building is inspired by famous Veronese architect Sebastiano Serlio. It was burned by the Turks in 1821 and restored in 1892.
The monastery has a great history and huge tradition in winemaking and olive oil production. The monks produce Cretan and international varieties of wine like “Romeiko”, “Muscat of Alexandria”, “Trebianno”, “Cabernet” etc. Taste the extra virgin olive oil on traditional Cretan rusk with own-made cheese and fresh tomato accompanied with the best Cretan wine varieties. Also inside the monastery there are two museums with magnificent treasures. One will show you the history of the monastery and the other one will present you the Cretan way of life and the wine-making in the past.
After leaving the monastery with a unique taste on your palate you will visit the beach of “Stavros” where Antony Quinn danced in Zorbas the Greek movie.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking, local driver/guide and wine specialists
- Entrance fee for the Monastery and museums
- Wine and food tasting
- Liability insurance and local taxes.
- Certified services with ISO:9001
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Small-group tour
- Gratuities (optional)
All year. Every day upon request
Minimum participation: 5 people
Pick up times
Terms & Conditions
- Wine tasting is not allowed for children under 18 years old. Water or fresh orange juice will be offered instead.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when this is considered necessary, for example in case of unfavorable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Reservations must be made 24 hours before the tour. A cancellation must be done 5 days before the tour. In case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company.
- If a tour is cancelled due to few participants or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In case of allergies or food preferences please inform the company in advance.
Create Your Private Tour With Us
If you wish to book your own wine tour with your family or friends, we will be happy to create with you the schedule and give you some nice ideas for a memorable tour. Please don’t hesitate to contact us for a unique offer.
Children 2-6 years old: Free
Children 7-12 years old: 50€
We keep our group sizes low so you have the freedom to move around and get involved with your surroundings, as well as more personal attention from our local guides. This intimate size ensures that your group will not crowd your experience. You can expect up to 15 travelers on a trip but the average is 8-10. Check individual trip pages for maximum group sizes.
It’s extremely difficult if not impossible to join a tour after it has begun. It is possible to leave a tour early however you will be responsible for your own arrangements from the moment you decide to leave the tour. You would also be responsible for all costs associated with joining a tour late or leaving one early. If you feel this may be necessary please consult a Fabulous Crete Specialist before you book your adventure.
The most of our company’s vehicles are Mercedes-Benz and VolksWagen 7-9 seaters.
For privacy reasons we cannot provide you with advance details on your traveling companions. However, our tours appeal to a wide range of travellers, most of whom share an adventurous spirit and a desire to experience these destinations at a grass-roots level. Our tours are conducted in English and so they attract many travellers from North America, UK, Australia and Europe
The availability listed on our website is updated every minute however on some tours we must confirm arrangements with our people on the ground, a process which usually takes no more than 24 hours. When you book online you will receive a follow-up email confirming your arrangements or a timeframe for when they will be confirmed.
The security that comes from knowing your trip is locked-in is a feeling that can’t be topped. We like that feeling – so much, so that we figured everyone should have it.
Every departure is guaranteed to run. Yup, all of them. Once you’ve booked and paid, that’s it, you’re going. Guaranteed. Your trip won’t be cancelled by us for any reason (beyond harsh weather or safety issues). Promise.
All documentation is sent electronically by email. Shortly after we receive your payment we will send you your initial documents. Final documentation will be sent by email no later than two days prior to the departure.
Yes, all of our Tour Managers and Tour Drivers speak English, some speak additional languages as well, but your tour will be conducted in English
You will automatically receive an e-voucher to your email address. Please print your voucher/ticket or keep a picture to your mobile phone which contains your unique reference number. Please remember to bring this with you on the day. You will not be allowed entrance to an attraction without a valid ticket.
If there is any problem with your booking or payment details, we will contact you on the telephone number or email address stated in your booking. Sometimes tours may not operate due to insufficient numbers, and we may need to contact you to advise you of any such changes.
All entrance fees and costs are included in the tour price except unspecified fees.
If you book more than 2 tours with us, then please contact our friendly staff who will be happy to assist you with your inquiry and see what we can arrange for you at email@example.com
You could lose your seat to a walk-up passenger. We encourage you to arrive at the pickup point a minimum of 15 minutes before departure. Once on the tour, your guide or driver will give you a time that the coach will depart each location. You must be at the coach at least five minutes before this time. If you are late and miss the time given, the coach will depart without you in order to not keep the other passengers waiting. If you are in any doubt about a departure time whilst on your tour, you must ask the guide or driver.
5 days before the tour starts –> 50% refund, no refunds after that
35% Deposit on booking time and final payment 7 days before the tour date.