The Hiking Tour Of Imbros Gorgefrom
Hike the second most famous gorge in Chania with our local mountain-guide. Explore nature and learn about the Cretan flora & fauna.
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. There is no hotel pick-up included from the other regions in Crete.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Group Size Large Group
- Enjoy a comfortable and easy hike.
- Discover the beauties of South Crete.
- Explore the stunning nature inside the gorge.
- Learn everything about the island’s flora & fauna.
- Swim in the crystal clear water of the Libyan sea.
- Hike the gorge with an experienced mountain-guide.
- Visit the historical Sfakia village and taste the local delicacies.
Imbros is the island’s second most famous gorge. Located parallel to Samaria, its big sister, Imbros, start from the homonymous village and ends at Kommitades, a beautiful small town in Sfakia province. It is a comfortable 8 km (5 miles) hike, and you will approximately need 2-3 hours to the exit. Its narrowest and the most spectacular part is just 1.60m wide.
Our bus will pick you up from your hotel or a near meeting point. After approximately 90 minutes, we will arrive in the village of Imbros. Then, we stop for coffee or local breakfast (optional) before we start the hike. As soon as you’re ready, we enter the gorge with our licensed trekking guide, who will inform you about the native plants and give you more information about the area and the island’s flora & fauna. The first 30 minutes of the hike is downhill through a beautiful natural environment. The gorge is becoming narrower as you keep walking. After around 75 minutes, you will be at the thinnest and most imposing spot of it. The walls of the gorge are less than 2 metres apart and tower 300 metres above.
Imbros opens onto the sea at Komitades. There you can relax and enjoy a drink at the local coffee shops & tavernas before leaving the village for the capital of Sfakia province, Chora Sfakion. There we are definitely suggesting you swim in the turquoise crystal water of the Libyan Sea. Finally, you can taste the local delicacies and lunch in one of the traditional Cretan restaurants (optional). You will be dropped off at your hotel early in the afternoon.
If you wish to explore more options return to the Hiking Trips page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking mountain guide
- Air-conditioned bus transportation
- Gratuities (optional)
- Entrance of the Gorge (2,5€)
- Meals – snacks
April to October
Every Wednesday & Thursday
Tour starts from
Duration of the tour
Including pick-up and drop-off time
Approximately 9 hours
Booking & Cancellation Policies
Please Read Carefully
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. Cancellation must be made 24 hours before the tour for a full refund. In the case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In the case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences, please inform the company in advance.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- This tour is not convenient for the elderly, pregnant women and people facing health problems, or suffering from conditions affecting their lower extremities
What to bring with you for this tour
...except your best mood & smile :)
- Comfortable clothing
- A second pair of socks
- Proper footwear (athletic shoes or hiking boots)
- Sunscreen & hat during summer months
- A swimsuit and a beach towel
- Don’t carry heavy bags with you
- A bottle of water & a snack
- Your Camera
- A jacket for the morning cold
Children 2-6 years old : Free
Children 6-12 years old: 25€
Pick up times
Starting from 07:30 am. The exact pick up time depends on hotel location or meeting point.
*We recommend you to be at the pick-up area (your hotel or the pre-arranged meeting point) 5-10 minutes prior to your pick up time. Our driver/escort will be on time to welcome you and show your seat.
Further to the Government’s announcements, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to keep our guests safe and healthy, our staff will be intensely and detailed trained to meet all the requirements. The company has fully complied with all the Government’s necessary measures, The WHO and the National Public Health Organisation.
- Our fleet will be thoroughly cleaned and hygiene after each transfer and trip. All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls etc., are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
- Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and themselves.
- Hand sanitizers antiseptic will be provided during clients’ embarkation
- Clients are obliged to use masks during their stay on the bus. (Masks will be provided from the company)
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change but are strictly followed at all times.
We keep our group sizes low so you have the freedom to move around and get involved with your surroundings, as well as more personal attention from our local guides. This intimate size ensures that your group will not crowd your experience. You can expect up to 50 travelers on a trip but the average is 30-35. Check individual trip pages for maximum group sizes.
It’s extremely difficult if not impossible to join a tour after it has begun. It is possible to leave a tour early however you will be responsible for your own arrangements from the moment you decide to leave the tour. You would also be responsible for all costs associated with joining a tour late or leaving one early. If you feel this may be necessary please consult a Fabulous Crete Specialist before you book your adventure.
50 seats buses
For privacy reasons we cannot provide you with advance details on your traveling companions. However, our tours appeal to a wide range of travellers, most of whom share an adventurous spirit and a desire to experience these destinations at a grass-roots level. Our tours are conducted in English and so they attract many travellers from North America, UK, Australia and Europe
The availability listed on our website is updated every minute however on some tours we must confirm arrangements with our people on the ground, a process which usually takes no more than 24 hours. When you book online you will receive a follow-up email confirming your arrangements or a timeframe for when they will be confirmed.
The security that comes from knowing your trip is locked-in is a feeling that can’t be topped. We like that feeling – so much, so that we figured everyone should have it.
Every departure is guaranteed to run. Yup, all of them. Once you’ve booked and paid, that’s it, you’re going. Guaranteed. Your trip won’t be cancelled by us for any reason (beyond harsh weather or safety issues). Promise.
All documentation is sent electronically by email. Shortly after we receive your payment we will send you your initial documents. Final documentation will be sent by email no later than two days prior to the departure.
Yes, all of our Tour Managers and Tour Drivers speak English, some speak additional languages as well, but your tour will be conducted in English
You will automatically receive an e-voucher to your email address. Please print your voucher/ticket or keep a picture to your mobile phone which contains your unique reference number. Please remember to bring this with you on the day. You will not be allowed entrance to an attraction without a valid ticket.
If there is any problem with your booking or payment details, we will contact you on the telephone number or email address stated in your booking. Sometimes tours may not operate due to insufficient numbers, and we may need to contact you to advise you of any such changes.
All entrance fees and costs are included in the tour price except unspecified fees.
If you book more than 2 tours with us, then please contact our friendly staff who will be happy to assist you with your inquiry and see what we can arrange for you at email@example.com
You could lose your seat to a walk-up passenger. We encourage you to arrive at the pickup point a minimum of 15 minutes before departure. Once on the tour, your guide or driver will give you a time that the coach will depart each location. You must be at the coach at least five minutes before this time. If you are late and miss the time given, the coach will depart without you in order to not keep the other passengers waiting. If you are in any doubt about a departure time whilst on your tour, you must ask the guide or driver.
5 days before the tour starts –> 50% refund, no refunds after that
35% Deposit on booking time and final payment 7 days before the tour date.