Living Like A Monk – Tour Of Chania’s Monasteries & Sacred Placesfrom
Discover the Venetian monasteries of Chania, wonderful nature landscapes and learn everything about the religious tradition of Crete…
*Please bear in mind that this tour includes a hike (around 1,5 hour – round trip) in Avlaki gorge.
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. For pick-up from the other regions in Crete, please contact us.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Explore the Akrotiri Peninsula
- Explore three monasteries in Akrotiri
- Discover the religious heritage of Crete
- Detailed descriptions and unknown stories
- Unique nature landscapes and architecture miracles
- Visit the monastery of St George and the stone bridge.
- Learn everything about the religious tradition of Crete
- Walk through the mountain path to discover the cave of St John
- Small-group tour ensures a more relaxing and personal experience.
The itinerary in the Akrotiri Peninsula will open a window to a spectacular nature populated by hermits and monks to a unique land exploited by great monasteries established in the Venetian period, which still dominate the area. Their history is associated with the history of the island. Their architecture reveals not only the fine taste of educated men but also the relationships with the artistic trends of Renaissance Europe.
The first step in the itinerary will be to descend the “Saint’s George” and explore the abandoned Katholiko monastery, an experience of a lifetime in the small « Kappadokya» of Crete. Following the steps of the pilgrims, you will be able to discover the places in which the hermits decided to live in solitude, away from man, and to practice austerity and self-discipline in order to improve spiritually.
The next steps will bring you to the monasteries of Gouvernetou and Tzagarolon. There you will observe the collective life shared and practised by the monks. In each case, the individual story of the men in charge of the administration and the construction of the buildings will be told the special architectural features of the churches and the monastic complexes will be demonstrated the importance of the artistic treasures kept within will be highlighted, and the role of the monasteries in various aspects of life in the past, but also nowadays -since they still constitute to function- will be discussed.
The final destination, the monastery of St. John the Almsgiver, will give you the opportunity to observe another model for organizing a monastic space, a way that should be connected with the particular history of the monastery and the origin of its first monks.
If you wish to explore more options return to the Religious Tours page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- English speaking, local driver/escort
- Bottled water and snacks per person
- Monasteries entrance fees
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus/minivan
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Private tour
- Gratuities (optional)
Tour starts from
If you wish a pick up from another region of Crete, please contact us for availability & rates
Duration of the tour
Including pick-up and drop-off time
Approximately 6-7 hours
Pick up points -times
We will pick you up from your hotel’s lobby.
What to bring with you for this tour
...except your best mood & smile :)
- Comfortable clothing
- A second pair of socks
- Proper footwear (athletic shoes or hiking boots)
- Sunscreen & hat during summer months
- Don’t carry heavy bags with you
- Your Camera
- A jacket during spring & autumn
Booking & Cancellation Policies
Please Read Carefully
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. Cancellation must be made 24 hours before the tour for a full refund. In the case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In the case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences, please inform the company in advance.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Regular Stops – There are stops every 30-40 minutes, for everyone’s convenience. If a client feels sick or it is necessary to stop, please inform your driver accordingly.
Meals & Alternatives
Vegetarian - Vegan- Allergies
- Meals (when included) usually contain traditional Cretan recipes.
- Appetizers, main courses and desserts will usually be served in platters according to the local way of eating.
- We can offer vegetarian – vegan alternatives, but we require prior notice during reservation.
- The client has the responsibility to inform the company in advance of any food allergies to find suitable alternatives if possible.
- Alcohol consumption is not allowed for children and teenagers under the age of 18 years old.
Further to the Government’s announcements, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to keep our guests safe and healthy, our staff will be intensely and detailed trained to meet all the requirements. The company has fully complied with all the Government’s necessary measures, The WHO and the National Public Health Organisation.
- Our fleet will be thoroughly cleaned and hygiene after each transfer and trip. All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls etc., are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
- Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and themselves.
- Hand sanitizers antiseptic will be provided during clients’ embarkation
- Clients are obliged to use masks during their stay on the bus. (Masks will be provided from the company)
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change but are strictly followed at all times.
We keep our group sizes low so you have the freedom to move around and get involved with your surroundings, as well as more personal attention from our local guides. This intimate size ensures that your group will not crowd your experience. You can expect up to 15 travelers on a trip but the average is 8-10. Check individual trip pages for maximum group sizes.
It’s extremely difficult if not impossible to join a tour after it has begun. It is possible to leave a tour early however you will be responsible for your own arrangements from the moment you decide to leave the tour. You would also be responsible for all costs associated with joining a tour late or leaving one early. If you feel this may be necessary please consult a Fabulous Crete Specialist before you book your adventure.
The most of our company’s vehicles are Mercedes-Benz and VolksWagen 7-9 seaters.
For privacy reasons we cannot provide you with advance details on your traveling companions. However, our tours appeal to a wide range of travellers, most of whom share an adventurous spirit and a desire to experience these destinations at a grass-roots level. Our tours are conducted in English and so they attract many travellers from North America, UK, Australia and Europe
The availability listed on our website is updated every minute however on some tours we must confirm arrangements with our people on the ground, a process which usually takes no more than 24 hours. When you book online you will receive a follow-up email confirming your arrangements or a timeframe for when they will be confirmed.
The security that comes from knowing your trip is locked-in is a feeling that can’t be topped. We like that feeling – so much, so that we figured everyone should have it.
Every departure is guaranteed to run. Yup, all of them. Once you’ve booked and paid, that’s it, you’re going. Guaranteed. Your trip won’t be cancelled by us for any reason (beyond harsh weather or safety issues). Promise.
All documentation is sent electronically by email. Shortly after we receive your payment we will send you your initial documents. Final documentation will be sent by email no later than two days prior to the departure.
Yes, all of our Tour Managers and Tour Drivers speak English, some speak additional languages as well, but your tour will be conducted in English
You will automatically receive an e-voucher to your email address. Please print your voucher/ticket or keep a picture to your mobile phone which contains your unique reference number. Please remember to bring this with you on the day. You will not be allowed entrance to an attraction without a valid ticket.
If there is any problem with your booking or payment details, we will contact you on the telephone number or email address stated in your booking. Sometimes tours may not operate due to insufficient numbers, and we may need to contact you to advise you of any such changes.
All entrance fees and costs are included in the tour price except unspecified fees.
If you book more than 2 tours with us, then please contact our friendly staff who will be happy to assist you with your inquiry and see what we can arrange for you at firstname.lastname@example.org
You could lose your seat to a walk-up passenger. We encourage you to arrive at the pickup point a minimum of 15 minutes before departure. Once on the tour, your guide or driver will give you a time that the coach will depart each location. You must be at the coach at least five minutes before this time. If you are late and miss the time given, the coach will depart without you in order to not keep the other passengers waiting. If you are in any doubt about a departure time whilst on your tour, you must ask the guide or driver.
5 days before the tour starts –> 50% refund, no refunds after that
35% Deposit on booking time and final payment 7 days before the tour date.