Premium Safari Tour – Explore the Mountains of Chania & Samaria Gorge from Abovefrom
Explore the Cretan mainland on a Jeep/Land Rover. Panoramic views, off-road routes, traditional villages & beautiful nature landscapes!
Please note that in this tour we do not cross the gorge of Samaria. We stand at Kalergi refuge or Xyloskalo (gorge’s entrance) and enjoy the view of it from above.
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. For pick-up from the other regions in Crete, please contact us.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Group Size Medium Group
- Join a stunning mountain safari tour
- Explore the White Mountains of Chania like never before
- Visit Xyloskalo, Omalos & admire Samaria Gorge from above.
- Reach the top and discover Kallergi refuge of 1680m altitude
- Enjoy a small-group safari tour (up to 6-8 people per Jeep)
- Traditional Cretan lunch with plenty of local food and wine
- Premium off-road vehicles & experienced escort-drivers
On this tour, you will have the chance to experience the mainland of Crete and admire Samaria’s national park from above (we don’t cross the gorge on this tour).
The day begins with a morning pick up from your hotel in Chania or a suitable near location. We drive south through a vast green valley and agricultural areas full of citrus fruits, avocado, kiwis, oranges and lemons. The aromas are coming from the open windows, and stunning, surprising tastings are taking part. We will pass some lovely villages such as Varipetro, Ayia, Alikianos, Fournes and then start climbing on altitude through an off-road route. The blooming vegetation and the surrounding environment will take your breath away as you experience some of the best panoramic views of Chania.
A few time later, we reach an altitude of 1000m. The adrenaline is raising while we drive through our adventurous off-road route in the heart of the White Mountains. We will pass from hidden shepherd’s trails, filling our lungs with fresh air, and the fascinating wild environment is fulfilling our souls. We will arrive at Kallergi Refugee (1680m altitude) at the end of our adventure route. The view of Samaria Gorge is majestic. The highest peaks of the White Mountains around you and the Libyan Sea view in the South will offer you a unique feeling. We will enjoy a traditional Cretan lunch at Omalos Plateau with plenty of local food & drinks. On our way back, we will admire the beautiful and historical village of Lakkoi, where we stop for some photos and information before we return to Chania.
*Please note that during winter (December-March), Kallergi refuge may be inaccessible due to dense snow. In that case, we reach Xiloskalo (the entrance of Samaria Gorge), and then we follow alternative off-road routes through mountains and villages.
**Please note that from December to March we travel with snow in the mountains and the route may be altered according to weather conditions…
If you wish to explore more options return to the Pemium Safari Tours page.
- Free hotel pick up and drop off
- Premium off-road vehicles (7 or 9 seated) driven by multilingual escort-drivers
- Lunch with traditional Cretan food and wine
- A visit to Kallergi Refugee
- Liability Insurance and local taxes
- Gratuities (optional)
- Coffee or beers or refreshments in tavern