The private tour of Spinalonga historical islandfrom
Explore the lovely city of Agios Nikolaos & the historical leper island of Spinalonga on a private, personalized guided tour.
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. For pick-up from the other regions in Crete, please contact us.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Explore the former leper colony
- Learn the history of Kolokitha and Spinalonga
- Take a short boat ride from Plaka to Spinalonga.
- Enjoy views of the Gulf of Mirabello and the Elounda Lagoon.
- Visit Agios Nikolaos and walk around the famous Lake Voulismeni.
- Round off the day with a walk in the idyllic fishing village of Elounda
Reach the cosmopolitan city of Agios Nikolaos on the Gulf of Mirabello, passing the north-east coast and St. George’s Gorge. Agios Nikolaos is famous for its scenic deep lake, the subject of numerous myths. Discover the stunning city on your own, stroll through the shops, or relax in one of the cafes and watch the world go by.
Continue to Elounda, enjoying some of the most beautiful views of Crete. Look across the Elounda Lagoon at the enchanting islands of Spinalonga and Kolokitha. Spinalonga has been an important place throughout history: for the ancient Greeks as a natural protection for the city of Olous for the Saracens as a hiding place for their pirates. For the Venetians as a fortress, for the Turks as a settlement and for a long time the island served as a leper colony.
After a short drive, you will reach Plaka, a small fishing village directly opposite Spinalonga. From there, a 10-minute boat ride takes you to the island. Plaka was the ferry port of the leper colony, whose history was documented in a book and a Greek television series. Visit the filming sites, enjoy lunch or have a refreshing swim.
The last stop of the day is Elounda, a former fishing village but today a famous holiday resort with the most 5-star hotels in Greece. Take plenty of time to stroll through the picturesque harbour and have a cup of coffee before heading to Agios Nikolaos for traditional Cretan lunch and finally back to your accommodation.
If you wish to explore more options return to the Cultural & Historical Tours page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Bottled water per person
- English speaking, local driver
- Licensed and professional local guide
- Island’s entrance fee
- Boat ticket
- Traditional Cretan lunch
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus/minivan
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Private tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Schedule: All year – Upon request
Tour starts from
*For pick-up from any other region of Crete, please contact us. Rates are lower if the tour starts from Rethymno, Heraklion or Lasithi due to the smaller distances.
Duration of the tour
Including pick-up and drop-off time
Approximately 11-12 hours
Booking & Cancellation Policies
Please Read Carefully
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. Cancellation must be made 24 hours before the tour for a full refund. In the case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In the case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences, please inform the company in advance.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Regular Stops – There are stops every 30-40 minutes, for everyone’s convenience. If a client feels sick or it is necessary to stop, please inform your driver accordingly
What to bring with you for this tour
...except your best mood & smile :)
- Your Camera
- Comfortable clothing & shoes
- Sunscreen & hat during summer months
- During spring and autumn, we advise you to bring a jacket
Meals & Alternatives
Vegetarian - Vegan- Allergies
- Meals (when included) usually contain traditional Cretan recipes.
- Appetizers, main courses and desserts will usually be served in platters according to the local way of eating.
- We can offer vegetarian – vegan alternatives, but we require prior notice during reservation.
- The client has the responsibility to inform the company in advance of any food allergies to find suitable alternatives if possible.
- Alcohol consumption is not allowed for children and teenagers under the age of 18 years old.
* Your hotel lobby
Important Note: This tour is including hotel pick up – drop off for accommodations in Chania city. Pick up from Rethimnon, Heraklion and Lasithi is not included. In case of hotels at least 20km away from Chania city center there will be an additional transportation fee.
Further to the Government’s announcements, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to keep our guests safe and healthy, our staff will be intensely and detailed trained to meet all the requirements. The company has fully complied with all the Government’s necessary measures, The WHO and the National Public Health Organisation.
- Our fleet will be thoroughly cleaned and hygiene after each transfer and trip. All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls etc., are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
- Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and themselves.
- Hand sanitizers antiseptic will be provided during clients’ embarkation
- Clients are obliged to use masks during their stay on the bus. (Masks will be provided from the company)
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change but are strictly followed at all times.
We keep our group sizes low so you have the freedom to move around and get involved with your surroundings, as well as more personal attention from our local guides. This intimate size ensures that your group will not crowd your experience. You can participate up to 18 travelers maximum on a trip. Check individual trip pages for maximum group sizes.
The availability listed on our website is updated every minute however on some tours we must confirm arrangements with our people on the ground, a process which usually takes no more than 24 hours. When you book online you will receive a follow-up email confirming your arrangements or a timeframe for when they will be confirmed.
Every departure is guaranteed to run. Yup, all of them. Once you’ve booked and paid, that’s it, you’re going. Guaranteed. Your trip won’t be cancelled by us for any reason (beyond harsh weather or safety issues). Promise.
All documentation is sent electronically by email. Shortly after we receive your payment we will send you your initial documents. Final documentation will be sent by email no later than two days prior to the departure.
Yes, all of our Tour Managers and Tour Drivers speak English, some speak additional languages as well, but your tour will be conducted in English
You will automatically receive an e-voucher to your email address. Please print your voucher/ticket or keep a picture to your mobile phone which contains your unique reference number. Please remember to bring this with you on the day. You will not be allowed entrance to an attraction without a valid ticket.
If there is any problem with your booking or payment details, we will contact you on the telephone number or email address stated in your booking. Sometimes tours may not operate due to insufficient numbers, and we may need to contact you to advise you of any such changes.