Every Wednesday and Friday
The Ultimate Food Tour of Chania Villagesfrom
Discover the hidden treasures of East Chania mainland and visit unique places… Taste the local delicacies and learn everything about the Cretan products…
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. For pick-up from the other regions in Crete, please contact us.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Group Size Small Group
- Learn about the Cretan way of life
- Discover the secrets of local products
- Analytic descriptions of goods production
- Learn about the history and culture of Crete
- A day full of tastings and beautiful landscapes
- Explore the mainland and the villages of Chania
- Increase your tasting memory and add new flavours to it
- Visit small family businesses and meet the local producers
- Lunch at a traditional “Kafeneio” (small “meze” restaurant)
- Taste the Cretan olive oil, raki, cheese, honey and a lot of other delicacies
This will be an unforgettable tasting day for you and your friends exploring the mainland of Chania and discovering the non-touristic locations of Apokoronas province. In a few hours, you’ll have the chance to meet the local producers and taste the pure and authentic delicacies of Crete.
The tour will start from a local olive mill where you will observe the olive oil production and learn the secrets of the finest quality of olive oil, the extra virgin one. Analytic descriptions will make you understand everything about olive oil from harvesting to your palate—exquisite tastes and flavours. Then, leaving the olive mill, you will get in touch with “Tsikoudia” or “Raki” production, the most famous Cretan spirit, by visiting a local distillery in a traditional village. The old conventional distillery tour and the new professional one will give you an idea about “holy water’s” production, and a tasting will follow.
Through a fantastic route passing by villages of the province, you will arrive in the White mountains’ foothills. In the village of Embrosneros, you will first stop in a bakery to taste the local bread, cookies & biscuits and then to a traditional cheese factory. The secrets of “Graviera”, “Anthotiros” and “Mizithra” cheese will be revealed in front of your eyes. After explaining each cheese’s production, you will taste them combined with local honey and rusk (dry bread).
The last stop will be in a local coffee shop (“Kafeneio”), where the Cretans are also enjoying meals. Incredible flavours and traditional recipes are waiting for you in the charming square of the village of Fres. The traditional lunch will introduce you to many elements of Cretan cuisine and gastronomy. People say that taste is our best sense. After this tour, your tasting memory will be increased and full of new flavours!
If you wish to explore more options return to the Wine & Food Tours page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Bottled water per person
- English speaking, local driver/escort
- All tours in olive mill, distillery, cheese factory, bakery etc
- Cheese tasting
- Olive oil tasting
- Distillery fees
- Bakery fees & tastings
- Traditional Cretan lunch
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus/minivan
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Small-group tour (up to 18pax)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional food and drinks
Tour starts from
Duration of the tour
Including pick-up and drop-off time
Approximately 6-7 hours
Booking & Cancellation Policies
Please Read Carefully
- Reservations must be made 12 hours before the tour. Cancellation must be made 24 hours before the tour for a full refund. In the case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In the case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences, please inform the company in advance.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Regular Stops – There are stops every 30-40 minutes, for everyone’s convenience. If a client feels sick or it is necessary to stop, please inform your driver accordingly.
Pick up points -times
- 08:40 – Hotels of Kalamaki, Stalos, Agia Marina, Platanias, Maleme, Tavronitis
- 09:00 – Xenios Dias and Golden Beach central parking (for hotels around the Golden beach and Agioi Apostoloi)
- 09:15 – Sunny Rent Car (For hotels in Nea Chora)
- 09:25 – Talos Square – Hand fountain (For hotels around: West old town and harbor, East Nea Chora)
- 09:35 – GS Tours offices (For hotels around: East and Central old town/harbor, Chania city center)
- 09:40 – Kriti hotel (For hotels around: Koum Kapi neighborhood, East old town and Chania city center)
- 10:00 – Kalives (For hotels in Kalives area)
*We recommend you to be at the pick-up area (your hotel or the pre-arranged meeting point) 5-10 minutes prior to your pick up time. Our driver/escort will be on time to welcome you and show your seat.
What to bring with you for this tour
...except your best mood & smile :)
- Your Camera
- Comfortable clothing & shoes
- Sunscreen & hat during summer months
- During spring and autumn, we advise you to bring a jacket.
Meals & Alternatives
Vegetarian - Vegan- Allergies
- Meals (when included) usually contain traditional Cretan recipes.
- Appetizers, main courses and desserts will usually be served in platters according to the local way of eating.
- We can offer vegetarian – vegan alternatives, but we require prior notice during reservation.
- The client has the responsibility to inform the company in advance of any food allergies to find suitable alternatives if possible.
- Alcohol consumption is not allowed for children and teenagers under the age of 18 years old.
Children 2-6 years old – FreeChildren 7-12 years old – 55€
Further to the Government’s announcements, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to keep our guests safe and healthy, our staff will be intensely and detailed trained to meet all the requirements. The company has fully complied with all the Government’s necessary measures, The WHO and the National Public Health Organisation.
- Our fleet will be thoroughly cleaned and hygiene after each transfer and trip. All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls etc., are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
- Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and themselves.
- Hand sanitizers antiseptic will be provided during clients’ embarkation
- Clients are obliged to use masks during their stay on the bus. (Masks will be provided from the company)
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change but are strictly followed at all times.
We keep our group sizes low so you have the freedom to move around and get involved with your surroundings, as well as more personal attention from our local guides. This intimate size ensures that your group will not crowd your experience. You can expect up to 30 travelers on a trip but the average is 10-15. Check individual trip pages for maximum group sizes.
It’s extremely difficult if not impossible to join a tour after it has begun. It is possible to leave a tour early however you will be responsible for your own arrangements from the moment you decide to leave the tour. You would also be responsible for all costs associated with joining a tour late or leaving one early. If you feel this may be necessary please consult a Fabulous Crete Specialist before you book your adventure.
Mercedes Benz & Volkswagen 9 seats buses
For privacy reasons we cannot provide you with advance details on your traveling companions. However, our tours appeal to a wide range of travellers, most of whom share an adventurous spirit and a desire to experience these destinations at a grass-roots level. Our tours are conducted in English and so they attract many travellers from North America, UK, Australia and Europe
The availability listed on our website is updated every minute however on some tours we must confirm arrangements with our people on the ground, a process which usually takes no more than 24 hours. When you book online you will receive a follow-up email confirming your arrangements or a timeframe for when they will be confirmed.
The security that comes from knowing your trip is locked-in is a feeling that can’t be topped. We like that feeling – so much, so that we figured everyone should have it.
Every departure is guaranteed to run. Yup, all of them. Once you’ve booked and paid, that’s it, you’re going. Guaranteed. Your trip won’t be cancelled by us for any reason (beyond harsh weather or safety issues). Promise.
All documentation is sent electronically by email. Shortly after we receive your payment we will send you your initial documents. Final documentation will be sent by email no later than two days prior to the departure.
Yes, all of our Tour Managers and Tour Drivers speak English, some speak additional languages as well, but your tour will be conducted in English
You will automatically receive an e-voucher to your email address. Please print your voucher/ticket or keep a picture to your mobile phone which contains your unique reference number. Please remember to bring this with you on the day. You will not be allowed entrance to an attraction without a valid ticket.
If there is any problem with your booking or payment details, we will contact you on the telephone number or email address stated in your booking. Sometimes tours may not operate due to insufficient numbers, and we may need to contact you to advise you of any such changes.
All entrance fees and costs are included in the tour price except unspecified fees.
If you book more than 2 tours with us, then please contact our friendly staff who will be happy to assist you with your inquiry and see what we can arrange for you at email@example.com
You could lose your seat to a walk-up passenger. We encourage you to arrive at the pickup point a minimum of 15 minutes before departure. Once on the tour, your guide or driver will give you a time that the coach will depart each location. You must be at the coach at least five minutes before this time. If you are late and miss the time given, the coach will depart without you in order to not keep the other passengers waiting. If you are in any doubt about a departure time whilst on your tour, you must ask the guide or driver.
5 days before the tour starts –> 50% refund, no refunds after that
35% Deposit on booking time and final payment 7 days before the tour date.