The Cretan Wine & Cheese Experience – Winery & Cheese Factory Tourfrom
Discover the origins of the Cretan wine by visiting a vineyard & a winery. Taste the Greek wines and combine with delicious Cretan Cheese
All pick-up points for this tour are within Chania region. For pick-up from the other regions in Crete, please contact us.
Reviews 2 Reviews5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
- Visit the traditional old cellar inside the cave
- Wine tasting in Cretan and international varieties
- Taste the local cheese like “Graviera” or “Mizithra.”
- Learn about local viticulture, grapes, and vine-growing
- Explore a local family winery and tour around its facilities
- Experience selected Greek wines introduced by an expert
- Discover the origins of the local wines through a visit to a vineyard
- Details about winemaking tradition in Crete and the art of food pairing
- Visit the family cheese factory and discover the cheese-making process
- Delicious gastronomy experiences and traditional Cretan lunch in a village
Driving up to the foothills of the White Mountains, you’ll feel the environment changing while you are heading to the first destination. We start with the Cretan history and tradition visiting a folklore museum (sometimes due to availability reasons we visit an olive mill instead). Next, we will discover rear ancient grape varieties and the modern type of Greek wines. We guarantee a mouthwatering experience.
The next stop will be in a traditional Cretan village, situated at an altitude of 300m. There you will experience a local family cheese factory. After the tour of the factory, you will taste the cheese varieties like ”Graviera”, “Anthotiros” or “Mizithra” and you will be in touch with the cheese-making process. There will be a combination of cheese tasting with Cretan dry-bread and “raki – tsikoudia” that you’ll love.
A few minutes from the village is the local winery. There you will meet the specialists of the awarded “Romeiko” variety. You will taste wine varieties like “Vidiano”, “Vilana”, “Malvazia” and “Kotsifali”. The winery provides a great view of the White Mountains and an impressive art gallery. There, you can see an ancient treadle, which is aged 500 years old, and walk around the herbal garden and the museum of traditional Cretan exhibits. Moving underground, feeling the heartbeat of the White Mountains, you will visit the cellar, which is inside the cave where steadfast rocks cover the cylinder bottles. Tasting is following, and with a satisfied palate, we are off to the final stop for lunch. In the charming square of a traditional Cretan village, you will experience the local cuisine. Full of incredible tastes, the tour is coming to its end, leaving us the best memories.
If you wish to explore more options return to the Wine & Food Tours page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Bottled water per person
- English speaking, local driver/escort and wine specialist
- Wine and food tasting
- Cheese tasting
- Transport by air-conditioned minibus
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Traditional Cretan lunch
- Private tour
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional food and drinks