The Rethymno Villages Eco Tour – Explore The Cretan Mainlandfrom
Discover Rethymno villages’ beauties, visit family-run businesses, taste the local products, & live the ultimate countryside experience. An amazing cultural discovery trip to Rethymno…
This is a full-day tour runs every Tuesday & Thursday at 09:00 am
Adult price per person starts from: 95€
Children 3-12 years old: 50% discount
For reservations please email us
Or Call Us
+30 28210 43243
All pick-up points for this tour are within Rethymno region. For pick-up from the other regions in Crete, please contact us.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Group Size Small Group
- Taste the stunning wood-bake oven delicacies
- Visit the fantastic museum and admire the wooden sculptures.
- Learn everything about the weaving tradition of Crete
- See how we produce the famous Cretan wedding-bread.
- Discover Discouri monastery & its museum
- Enjoy the exceptional traditional Cretan lunch.
- Meet the locals and listen to their stories and fun times
Our tour starts from a traditional family-run Wood-Oven Bakery in the charming village of Axos. You will enjoy a small tour of the bakery along with a demonstration from the baker. You will see how the locals produce the tastiest version of bread you ever trie and tastings will follow, of course: fresh, hot bread, local cookies & biscuits and more Cretan delicacies.
Afterwards, we will visit the wooden sculpture museum. A resident of the village is maintaining the traditional handicraft and created incredible hand-made artefacts. You will admire the enormous wooden sculptures he creates from fallen trees and its unique collection. Mr Giorgos will guide us through his museum and let us know about his inspiration & life work. He inspired most sculptures and statues of the museum by the history and mythology of Crete. His hospitality and warm character are beyond expectations.
The art of weaving is coming next. Mrs Antonia is welcoming you to her traditional shop. There you will learn everything about the traditional handicraft of weaving. You will get in touch with this noble art and admire the spectacular artworks of the loom.
The next stop will be at an old monastery, St. George of Discouri, to embrace Crete’s religious customs. It’s one of the island’s oldest monasteries. Discouri’s chapel reminds a small Venetian fortress. Except for the temple, you will see the nuns’ chambers and the marvellously decorated guest house. Guests can also visit the abbey’s museum and admire the heirlooms.
The day will end most deliciously! In the historical village of Drossia, you will enjoy a traditional Cretan lunch and the delicacies of the area’s most famous taverna. Portions are enormous, and their taste, spectacular! As we enjoy our lunch, we can admire the village that lies in front of us and discuss its history.
If you wish to explore more options return to the Cultural & Historical Tours page.
- Hotel pick up and drop off (Only Rethymno district)
- English or French speaking guide
- Local driver/guide
- Transport by air-conditioned car/mini bus
- Variety of snacks
- Entrance to the wooden sculpture museum
- Entrance to the monastery
- Full cretan lunch at Drossia village
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Gratuities (optional)
- Additional food and drinks
April to October
Every Tuesday and Thursday
Tour starts from
Please advise your hotel during your booking in order to send you your voucher with the meeting point and all details.
Duration of the tour
Including pick-up and drop-off time
Approximately 7-8 hours
Pick up Times
Departures from Rethymno hotels & meeting areas
09:00- 09:30 am
*We recommend you to be at the pick-up area (your hotel or the pre-arranged meeting point) 5-10 minutes prior to your pick up time. Our driver/escort will be on time to welcome you and show your seat.
What to bring with you for this tour
...except your best mood & smile :)
- Your Camera
- Comfortable clothing & shoes
- Sunscreen & hat during summer months
- During spring and autumn, we advise you to bring a jacket
Booking & Cancellation Policies
Please Read Carefully
- Reservations must be made 24 hours before the tour. Cancellation must be made 24 hours before the tour for a full refund. In the case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company
- If a tour is cancelled due to low participation or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
- In the case of allergies, tolerances or food preferences, please inform the company in advance.
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when considered necessary, for example, in unfavourable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
Children 3-12 years old: 50% Discount
Meals & Alternatives
Vegetarian - Vegan- Allergies
- Meals (when included) usually contain traditional Cretan recipes.
- Appetizers, main courses and desserts will usually be served in platters according to the local way of eating.
- We can offer vegetarian – vegan alternatives, but we require prior notice during reservation.
- The client has the responsibility to inform the company in advance of any food allergies to find suitable alternatives if possible.
- Alcohol consumption is not allowed for children and teenagers under the age of 18 years old.
Further to the Government’s announcements, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to keep our guests safe and healthy, our staff will be intensely and detailed trained to meet all the requirements. The company has fully complied with all the Government’s necessary measures, The WHO and the National Public Health Organisation.
- Our fleet will be thoroughly cleaned and hygiene after each transfer and trip. All sensitive touch areas such as seats, armrests, sidewalls etc., are intensively cleaned and sanitized daily before and after each tour.
- Our staff is trained in the latest hygiene protocols and cleaning procedures. They use personal protective equipment (face masks/shields and optional gloves) to ensure a safe travel experience for you and themselves.
- Hand sanitizers antiseptic will be provided during clients’ embarkation
- Clients are obliged to use masks during their stay on the bus. (Masks will be provided from the company)
- Our vehicles are filled up according to governmental covid-19 law of their capacity. Those governmental laws and regulations against covid-19 infections might change but are strictly followed at all times.