Eco Trip Private – Rethymno Districtfrom
An amazing cultural discovery trip to Rethymno…
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Group Size Small Group
- Discover the spectacular aromas of the wood bake oven delicacies and the fresh and hot bread!
- Admire the amazing wooden sculptures in Mr. Giorgos’ museum and travel through to Greek
- Meet our smiley and kind granny Antonia and you will be impressed by her weaving skills as well
as her ability to decorate with dough flowers and designs the famous wedding bread!
- Explore the Discouri monastery’s museum of the abbey and the heirlooms!
- Surrender to Cretan food by the traditionally cooked pork with potatoes and the beautiful salad
and enjoy one of the most splendor meals of Crete!
- Embrace the beautiful simplicity of the lush landscape and the glorious view of Garazo village
while enjoying a Greek coffee.
- Experience the amazing feeling of mingling with locals and sharing stories and fun times!
We will start our excursion visiting to Maria’s traditional Wood Oven Bakery. There you can learn the process of making bread and cookies that usually bake the same time and also taste all the fresh and delicious products. And yes… some raki is always in order.
Secondly, we will visit Axos, a village where a resident, Mr. George, makes spectacular huge wooden sculptures using departed tree pieces from all over the island. It is thrilling the get together feeling to share in stories, memories, and fun times. In Mr. George’s museum, you will be able to admire a remarkable four-meter sculpture of the rare wild eagle of Crete. The artist is inspired by the Greek mythology, history, traditions and religion of Crete.
As we continue our tour, we will visit a lovely old lady, Mrs. Antonia who lives just fifteen minutes away from the wooden sculpture museum. Firstly, she welcomes us with raki and traditional cheese pies (kalitsounia). Afterwards, she will show you from scratch the procedure of taking sheep wool, processing it and turning it into thread. Then you will watch her creating a hand-woven textile using a traditional loom. The smiley, old lady will teach you about the traditional process of knitting and weaving. She has been using this technique for over 50 years. You will get impressed by watching her spin so quickly with her antiquated, however effective, tools. Our beloved “granny” is also adept at creating traditional wedding bread decorated in the most wonderful way ever (handmade dough flowers and designs). We will observe her grinding the wheat in the traditional stone hand mill and step by step creating this unique festive bread.
Our next stop will be an antiquated monastery, St. George of Discouri, so as to embrace our religious customs. It is considered one of the oldest monasteries of Crete. It is remarkable to notice the central temple and the eminent picture of St. Georgios, as well as the chambers of nuns and the marvelously decorated guest house. The visitors could also visit the museum of the abbey and admire the heirlooms.
Afterwards, you will be guided to Drosia, and especially to the most amazing taverna of the area where you will be having a delicious meal with pork, traditional cooked potatoes and salad, just the best way to enjoy the Cretan diet.
Last but not least, our guests will have the chance to have a traditional Greek coffee at an authentic and unique small village, Garazo. Historically, Garazo has always belonged to the province of Mylopotamos, where the landscape with the narrow built alleys and its architecture is absolutely spectacular.
- Hotel Pick-Up & Drop-Off
- French fluently speaking guide
- Air-Conditioned bus transportation
- Snacks variety, full Lunch with wine
- A lot of raki…and laughs
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- A small gift to remember us
- Tickets for entrance to the wooden museum, the monastery and at the coffee place are not included in the price and they will be paid on spot by the clients.
April to October
Every Monday and Friday
Pick up Times
09:00- 09:30 am
Terms & Conditions
- The company reserves the right to make minor changes in the program when this is considered necessary, for example in case of unfavorable weather conditions. This can be done without prior notice.
- Reservations must be made 24 hours before the tour. A cancellation must be done 5 days before the tour. In case of later cancellations, no refund will be made from the company.
- If a tour is cancelled due to few participants or bad weather conditions, the company will refund 100% of made payments.
Children 2-12 years old: 50% Discount